How many neon tetra can go in a 20 gallon long?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

tbetta

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am doing a fishless cycle on a 20 gallon long. When the time eventually comes, I was wondering how many neon tetras can go into it? I was also going to add my betta. He is a peaceful fish and never bothers the 7 neons in his 10 gallon (stable water parameters). He doesn't pay attention to them at all. I realize now that 10 gallons is too small for neon tetras, which is a small part of the reason why I am cycling a 20 long.

Last edited:
For those of us not in the U.S, and who don't know what a '20 gallon long' might be, can you give us the dimensions, please?

Also, if you're moving all the fish, you don't need to cycle the new tank; you can just move all the filter media from the old tank's filter into the new one. You can cut it up if you need to. Then fill in any space with new media. Do feed sparingly and test frequently for the first week or so, as you can sometimes get a small ammonia spike.

For those of us not in the U.S, and who don't know what a '20 gallon long' might be, can you give us the dimensions, please?

Also, if you're moving all the fish, you don't need to cycle the new tank; you can just move all the filter media from the old tank's filter into the new one. You can cut it up if you need to. Then fill in any space with new media. Do feed sparingly and test frequently for the first week or so, as you can sometimes get a small ammonia spike.

Sure thing, 75.7 litres, 76.2 cm L x 33.02 cm W x 30.48 cm H

The problem is camallanus. One of the fish in my 10 gallon had it from the lfs but it wasn't traceable until the worms became mature, and at which point I couldn't just isolate one or a few fish. The worms went away after levamisole, then I treated again 3 weeks later to get rid of the camallanus eggs. The camallanus still came back. I heard that they are very hard to completely get out of the tank. I am worried that the bio filter has been affected, but idk. I was going to wait until after the final levamisole treatment of the 10 gallon following the completion for the nitrogen cycle of the 20 gallon long (75.7 litres long).

Last edited:
Sure thing, 75.7 liters, 76.2 cm L x 33.02 cm W x 30.48 cm H

Thank you! I'd say about 15 neons, bearing in mind you have the betta too.

The problem is camallanus. One of the fish in my 10 gallon had it from the lfs but it wasn't traceable until the worms became mature, and at which point I couldn't just isolate one or a few fish. The worms went away after levamisole, then I treated again 3 weeks later to get rid of the camallanus eggs. The camallanus still came back. I heard that they are very hard to completely get out of the tank. I am worried that the bio filter has been affected, but idk. I was going to wait until after the final levamisole treatment of the 10 gallon following the completion for the nitrogen cycle of the 20 gallon long (75.7 liters long).

Oh, I see. I've (thank goodness) never had to deal with camallanus, so I can't advise you there, apologies.

If there is even the slightest risk of transferring a disease/parasite, do not use anything from the existing tank in the new (except the fish themselves later,obviously). New filter media, new substrate, new wood and decor.

The neons will be fine in the 20g long, and you could consider other fish (cories for example), if the Betta stays out. Even though the Betta seems compatible with neons, it is not. Betta are not community fish. I had a Betta years ago that easily ate neons. Aside from this, the neons may suddenly decide it is fun to nip the flowing fins of the sedate Betta. And a third reason...what may seem too work in one tank may not work at all in another tank. Moving fish to a new environment can cause changes in behaviour, temperament. It is much kinder, and safer, to leave your Betta alone, in the 10g or a 5 gallon.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back