How many guppies recommended for 10 gallon fish tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

To be honest, I would put that Interpet filter in the cupboard and get a different filter if you were to get that 10 gallon tank. The Fluval U1 filter would fit all the old media. The biomax would fit in the box in the middle of the Fluval U, and the sponge could be cut up to replace the foam sponges of the Fluval.
The Interpet filter would be useful for running carbon should you ever need to use any eg removing medication after treating sick fish.

Depending on how fast the flow is in the Spec tank's filter, it could be too strong for a betta. I use a sponge filter powered by an air pump in my betta's tank. But any new filter/media would need to be cycled before getting a betta for the Spec.

I do agree with you and I prefer foam filters for sure which is why I am so reluctant to change the spec. Everything is perfect about it apart from the size and everything is built in properly. Treating fish in my current tank is so easy all I have to do is remove the carbon and the filter takes care of the rest. Please could you send me the link to the fluval filter you are referring to? I will then purchase this for the tank and use my old media. Many thanks for your help.

Last edited:
To be honest, I would put that Interpet filter in the cupboard and get a different filter if you were to get that 10 gallon tank. The Fluval U1 filter would fit all the old media. The biomax would fit in the box in the middle of the Fluval U, and the sponge could be cut up to replace the foam sponges of the Fluval.
The Interpet filter would be useful for running carbon should you ever need to use any eg removing medication after treating sick fish.

Depending on how fast the flow is in the Spec tank's filter, it could be too strong for a betta. I use a sponge filter powered by an air pump in my betta's tank. But any new filter/media would need to be cycled before getting a betta for the Spec.

Would the fluval U mini be suitable? It’s just a smaller version of the fluval U1 I think. This is for tanks up 45 litres. Many thanks.

Attachments

• E5FA195B-B6A6-4170-8D84-FE141E11AA36.jpeg
    E5FA195B-B6A6-4170-8D84-FE141E11AA36.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 165
Would the fluval U mini be suitable? It’s just a smaller version of the fluval U1 I think. This is for tanks up 45 litres. Many thanks.
The Fluval mini looks very similar to an old filter I once had. The media is just a sponge. The available space wasn't that big in the filter I had, so it might be difficult to squeeze in all your current media.

General rule of thumb, is one inch of fish per gallon.
The full rule is one inch of pencil shaped fish that grow no bigger than 3 inches. It does not apply to deep bodied fish like some tetras, gouramis etc, and it does not apply to fish that grow bigger than 3 inches. It does not take into account the nature of the fish either, which is more important an just going by the size.

I have a very similar filter made by Eheim, the Eheim Mini. It was motorized and the water was drawn in through a piece of foam and then out at the top. It is rated for a very small tank (30 liter or 8 gallons), and I use it in my 3-foot 33 gallon but it is ideal. I'm not sure they still make this, but it is a dandy little filter for tanks with sedate fish. Comparable to a sponge filter connected to an air pump, which is what I use in the 40g, 29g, 20g and 10g tanks.

The Fluval mini looks very similar to an old filter I once had. The media is just a sponge. The available space wasn't that big in the filter I had, so it might be difficult to squeeze in all your current media.

The full rule is one inch of pencil shaped fish that grow no bigger than 3 inches. It does not apply to deep bodied fish like some tetras, gouramis etc, and it does not apply to fish that grow bigger than 3 inches. It does not take into account the nature of the fish either, which is more important an just going by the size.

Thank you for pointing that out you do have a very good point you do have a point. I’m a little worried that the flow might be to strong with the fluval U1. It’s quite bigger in size I agree, I think in the fluval U would just about fit my biomedia I’m, and some of my old sponge if I’m lucky which is better than nothing. However it wouldn’t allow much I definitely agree. Many thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
I have a very similar filter made by Eheim, the Eheim Mini. It was motorized and the water was drawn in through a piece of foam and then out at the top. It is rated for a very small tank (30 liter or 8 gallons), and I use it in my 3-foot 33 gallon but it is ideal. I'm not sure they still make this, but it is a dandy little filter for tanks with sedate fish. Comparable to a sponge filter connected to an air pump, which is what I use in the 40g, 29g, 20g and 10g tanks.

I have had a look and I believe they do still sell these. Would this filter manage a 38 litre tank? Many thanks for the advice.

You could do worse than an Eheim Aquaball. I have one of these in the cupboard (from an old tank) and I use an Eheim Biopower in my main tank. The Aquaballs have a flow regulator so you can turn down the flow rate. The smallest Aquaball has a basket which contains a hollow cylindrical sponge and a smaller box under the pump which can take several different media from sponge to carbon sponge. When I got the Aquaball for the old tank I did manage to persuade some very differently shaped sponges to fit!

Last edited:
I have had a look and I believe they do still sell these. Would this filter manage a 38 litre tank? Many thanks for the advice.

Yes but it does not have a flow control which didn't matter to me in the 3-foot long 33g but would in small tanks. Essjay has mentioned another Eheim that sounds better still.

You could do worse than an Eheim Aquaball. I have one of these in the cupboard (from an old tank) and I use an Eheim Biopower in my main tank. The Aquaballs have a flow regulator so you can turn down the flow rate. The smallest Aquaball has a basket which contains a hollow cylindrical sponge and a smaller box under the pump which can take several different media from sponge to carbon sponge. When I got the Aquaball for the old tank I did manage to persuade some very differently shaped sponges to fit!

This filter sounds excellent, however I must say I’m not liking the look of it. Call me old school but I prefer a classical black one. I think I may stick to buying either the fluval U1 or the fluval U just because I am used to this brand. Many thanks for all your advice.

Last edited:
Update - the fish have been moved over they currently seem a bit lost in this tank. I also went ahead with the fluval U1 filter in the end. I have found this to be to powerful for my fish and is blowing them around unfortunately, they don’t seem to be enjoying this. Is there anything I can do to calm this down? I haven’t moved my old media over yet because I don’t think everything will fit but I dipped the new media into the old tank water. Many thanks for all the help.

If you have not transferred any media, you are now doing a fish-in cycle. You will need to measure both ammonia and nitrite every day and do a water change every time you see either of them above zero. Dipping the media in the old tank will have done nothing as the bacteria we want to grow live tightly bound to surfaces not in the water.

The manual shows something called a flow knob control. Does this alter the flow rate or just the direction of flow?

I was advised at pets at home that the old media wouldn’t fit so to just do this instead, I still have it to hand and they were only moved in around 2 hours ago. It does adjust the flow but I think it’s strong either way. I’m sure they will get used to it. The old media has also been used for just over 3 weeks now so I am sure you are right that this has grown beneficial bacteria in this time. The stones from the old tank were lightly rinsed and placed in the new tank, I transferred ornaments and live plants directly over and used half the water from the old tank. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Pets at Home have a poor reputation - I would take anything they say with a huge pinch of salt. Yes, the media as it is won't fit, but you can make it fit. Sponges can be cut up with scissors to the same shape as the sponge in the U1. If there's any space left, the biomax from the old filter can be put into a mesh bag - even one crudely made from net fabric - and squeezed in there as well.
Even a small piece of old media would help.

I have rinsed and added the old biomax into the filer just as they were in netted bag. I can confirm you were right they fit in fine and I also have a very tiny bit of space for a small piece of my old sponge so I will add this tomorrow. My next question is what other fish could I put in my 10 gallon now with 3 guppies already being in? I’m considering changing things up a bit. Maybe some neons or platies. My guppies already seem to be a bit more territorial in their new tank. Many thanks for your advice.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back