How many fish can I add??????

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Splatter24

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon long tank and I have had it for about a month. I have 2 small platies and a small Bristlenose Catfish. How many more fish could I get without the tank being overpopulated. Also, kinda a weird question, but how much space should be taken up by plants and decorations. Thanks :D

How big is the catfish? Anyway, you can have 20 inches of fish in that tank. So add up the inches of fish you already have in it and subtract it from 20 and that's how many more inhes of fish you can have. But also remember when buying a fish make sure it will get along with the others!!!!

Good luck with your fishies!

The catfish is like 2 inches long--- he hides all day under a plant :fish:

:) Just be sure not to get a fish that will outgrow your tankspace. There's good info on this website that tells adult size. :thumbs:

yes, plants and bogwood are good,don,t forget that altho you can have 20 inches of fish[nose to start of tail], you must add them slowly a few at a time so that your bacterial population can keep up with them.also its a good idea to choose your fish bearing in mind that some are top, middle or bottom feeders/dwellers. that way you make use of all the ares of your tank.. enjoy choosing your fish :) pebbles

you mention two small platies, are they same sex or male and female? if they are male and female, you might need room incase they have babies. Albino cory stays small and are good in groups and they can eat the food that fell at the bottom(they are bottom feeder), guppies are small and mostly stays at the top of the water. Tetra seem to hang around the middle(I have two black skirt tatra). Take your time as you add new fish that way you don't harm them plus that way you can see if you are underpopulated or overpopulated.

i have neons guppies and cories and a otto never lost a fish, you have 2 have a ecosystem where there is a middle feeder bottem feeders and top feeders, i think platies are like guppies, you could get more platies(get same sex as you have) and get a school of 6 neons and 4 cories, that would be one cool tank, could give us some pics once you choose and set up your tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back