How many female bettas in a tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mustang5L5

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
38 gallon heavily planted.

I have 1 and she's doing great slinking around the bottom, and through the plants hunting for food. I'm not really fond of male bettas (they seem awkward in large aquariums) but the females really appeal to me as they seem more graceful and stealthy.

My female is has a pure white body, black eyes, and lavender fins. SHe's a really attractive fish.

I recently gave my friend another female betta which looks identical. She's in a small 1 gallon tank, but i hinted that she would probably love it better in my tank.

I'm not really sure if two will work out well. I think it would. My tank is big enough and there are TONS of hiding places. The other betta is thriving in the tank.

At least 4??

SO two or three isn't a good idea??

I have no problem with 4, but i was really only looking for 2, three tops

2 no way. There will be territory fighting.
3 1 will be picked on

4 enough to establish boundaries and good number.
I had 4 sometimes 6 in the tank.

Well before i can do 4, i need to lower my numbers of other fish first.

I have been thinking of giving the barbs away. I just want the small tetras and maybe 4+ female bettas.

anything 4 or bigger is good... i kept 10 in a 10 gallon and 8 in an 8 gallon.. there were some little nipped fins but it was all good....

38 gallons is huge, but anything 4 or over should be cool in such a big tank

Ok cool thanks everyone.

Maybe when i remove the convict fry and the barbs, i'll leave the tetras and ottos and i'll get my betta several other friends.

I think they look awesome in a planted aquarium...especially since mine is the only white fish in the tank, so you can see her from across the room contrasting against all the green. She spends most of her time investigating the bottom and is very curious in the frogs.

It doesn't matter how many females you have in a tank (so long there is enough room of every fish) I've kept 2-3-4 etc females together (for years) without problems. Just keep them not to crowed and in a densly planted tank.

Ok how bout this. I've been looking for a "centerpeice" fish for my tank for some time. I like how this one white female betta just stands out from the tank. I seem to like the females more than the males.

How many female bettas can i safely keep in my tank. Keep in mind it's a 38 tall with a footprint of 30" x 12" x 24" tall

I plan on getting rid of the barbs and the convict fry soon. So they would be left with the remaining fish in my sig plus maybe 3-5 kuhli loaches and maybe a few more neons.

I take it if i were to make my tank a "female betta" tank that i could NEVER introduce a male into the tank without some consequences correct?

Most reactions

trending

Back