How Many Cherries Should I Have?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mikaila31

Always Watching
Reaction score
Just as the title says. I sold my 5 juvi. boeseami rainbows to the LFS, then I had to remove all the fish from my tank cuz they had ich. They are still in quarantine, and now my shrimp population is getting quite large. The tank is a 20gal high, that is densely planted. About how many should I have when I add the fish back in?

edit: I don't know how many shrimp are in their, but I counted at least 20 mature females out of which 12 are carrying eggs in different stages. Oh my :lol:

AFAIK there doesn't have to be a specific number of shrimp in a tank when you introduce new fish.

So sorry to hear you had to return your boesemani rainbows. They're lovely fish :unsure:

I raised the rainbow from fry and I was sad to see them go. I mentioned it because I had a sudden increase in the amount to young shrimp I would find. I know there isn't a specific number, but what would be a good about for a heavily stocked tank, the only other bottom feeders will be two corys.

Hmmmm..firstly, well done for raising your rainbows from fry...makes it ever sadder that you had to let them go :(

I am no shrimp expert, but I have between 3 and 9 shrimp in all but my betta tanks and even in the well stocked community tank, the 9 guys do a grand job along with my corys.

I would say your 20 strong army is a good total for your tank :D

Don't worry. You'll end up with several hundred :lol:
Yep, I set a trap for them so I could get a estimate on how many adults and half grown shrimp there are. I ended up with about 130 before I called it quits. There are also tons of little shrimplets every where, the fish won't be going back in for at least two more weeks. Oh dear, what have I done :lol: .

On a good note there are less snails now :fun: . And pics cuz I am bored :D
rainbow041-1.jpg

artpics021-1.jpg

:crazy: Yeh... See, the problem these days are that some people have too little RCS, and some have too many. If you want, I'll take some off your hands :lol:
I would say probably 50 for a 20 gal normally, but most people keep em in the hundreds. You'll know when it gets overpopulated, because the females will stop getting berried, and breeding will cease. Also, be sure to monitor your water parameters -_-

Best of luck :D

Wow... worse than rabbits it seems! lol... that's so cool though. I'd love to see lil shrimpies in our tank! Wish there was a place that sold cherry shrimp here, they're adorable!

I started with about 30 in my 18 gallon, and now have about 100+

Every now and then I buy more to keep the strain "pure". I picked up 20 odd yesturday actually :)

You should trade out with other breeders to keep the genes stronger. If you put about 30 in there you should have 100+ in 2-3 months.

I love that second pic.

I have one in my 28g... I guess he's lonely. :rolleyes:

Once I am sure the tank is clear of ich. I will sell a lot of them to a LFS and will probably offer them on here during the summer. I originally bought 20 from a aquabid seller that lives 20min away from me. I will sell them to the LFS for about a dollar each, which is what I bought them for. I will also talk to the people at the store to see if they will drop the price on the cherries that they sell. Which in IMO is way too high, 1-$7.99 or 3-$14.99 :blink: . I might pick up a few new ones depending on what I can get them for.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back