How Long Will My Betta Live Given Adequate Conditions?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Just bought a FLUVAL mini filter and a packet of gravel! Not the one you suggested, but I thought it was pretty similar.

See my profile picture to see how my tank looks like now! :D

Great! Remember to keep up the daily water changes and water testing for thereabouts the next 4-6 weeks until you reach nitrites and ammonia consistently at 0 and your nitrates have built up to somewhere around 10ish. Then you'll be able to drop back to less water changes.

Thank you so much!!
thanks.gif

Okay. First of all, bettas need heaters. Even that much of a temperature swing will stress them. Plus, you need to heat your water before putting it in. And you didn't cycle your tank? That is a big mistake as well. Those large water changes, coupled with any ammonia/nitrites and cold water, a good equation for a stressed fish. And stress leads to sickness. Did you clean the gravel before putting it in? About the tank, despite what other members have said, 5 gallons is the recommended minimum. Anything below is just unhealthy. Try to get a bigger one when possible. You should also have more hiding places, such as plants. Mesh covers are inadequate because they allow water vapour escape. I also don't like the sound of chasing him around with a net, that will probably just frighten him. If you want to play with him, or give him something to do, put a sterilised ping-pong ball in for a while. Or put live foods in. Sorry I couldn't be more positive.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back