How long till she will give birth

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Leanne x

Reaction score
Hi my platy is prgnant i am just wondering roughly how long people think it will be untill she gives birth? X i have attached a pic
20170628_142403.jpg

It's hard to tell until the fish 'squares off'; that means her belly will develop a distinct 'boxy' shape with corners at the front. Once that happens, you can expect her to give birth within the next day or so.

Do bear in mind that, if you put the fish in any kind of breeding net or box, she may find it too small and be so stressed she might try and 'hold on' to the fry and not give birth when you expect. Our advice is always that the mother fish is best left in the main tank, and plenty of hiding places (live plants are best) provided for the fry.

I have put her in a 24l tank on her own away from the others as one of my males was constantly pestering her i dont like the breeding boxes there really small .. will she be ok on her own? I will put her back in my other tank with the others once she has had the fry x

She'll be fine on her own until she's had the babies, as long as the tank isn't too bare :)

Some more pics may have poted one a couple times sorry

Attachments

• 1498668610090917691616.jpg
    1498668610090917691616.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
She doesn't look like she has too much longer to go, but it is hard to tell exactly; it can depend on the age of the fish, how many pregnancies she's already had, the temperature of the water and her stress levels.

Just make sure she has plenty of cover (your tank does look a bit bare; you want to almost fill it with plants, really), good, clean water and peace and quiet :)

Thankyou .. we bought a new tank day before yesterday a bigger one ans all fish were in there trànnsferred all plants etc and kept a couple for the tank shes in now i am going to go plant shopping tomorrow thanks for the advice

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back