How long should I wait before I add more fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Inkweaver313

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I got a new 125g aquarium to move my goldfish to. After 3 months of doing a Fishless Cycle, my tank was finally ready and I added 1 of my 3 goldfish (the largest of the the three). That was about a week ago. The two smaller goldfish are still waiting in the 45 gallon tank to join their friend. I don't want to overload the bio filter. How long do you think I should wait before I add another fish to the 125?

It's been a week. I've tested the water daily. There's been no ammonia spikes.

Current Readings:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 20 ppm

Thank you so much!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If you have cycled the new tank with ammonia then you can just move all 3 fish across. You have already moved one fish so just move the other 2 now.

In future, if you have an established filter on one tank, you can simply move that onto a new tank and it will be considered cycled. The beneficial bacteria live in the filter so by moving the filter, you move the bacteria and instant cycled tank. :)

I agree with Colin. I have goldies too. Go ahead and move them over. As Colin said, seeding the tank with existing filter media will give you an automatic cycle and you don’t have to wait. I keep extra filter media in all of my tanks and just move some over when I need another tank or quarantine tank. I encourage you to do the same. Your fish will grow in the larger tank and enjoy the room. So glad to see someone treating goldfish right!

Thanks so much guys! I took your advice and the three goldies are very happy being back together!

Attachments

• 47038940_275871453278860_8793351497338322944_n.jpg
    47038940_275871453278860_8793351497338322944_n.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 137
Hi everybody!

I got a new 125g aquarium to move my goldfish to. After 3 months of doing a Fishless Cycle, my tank was finally ready and I added 1 of my 3 goldfish (the largest of the the three). That was about a week ago. The two smaller goldfish are still waiting in the 45 gallon tank to join their friend. I don't want to overload the bio filter. How long do you think I should wait before I add another fish to the 125?

It's been a week. I've tested the water daily. There's been no ammonia spikes.

Current Readings:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 20 ppm

Thank you so much!
I believe you would be able to add the remaining fish since it's already cycled. For the first few weeks though, I would keep a very close eye on the ammonia/nitrite levels.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back