How Long Should A Blue Lobster/crayfish Molt Take?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Colin_BC

Fishaholic
Reaction score
The Main Question:
When a blue lobster/crayfish molts, how long does the process typically take? Does the lobster/crayfish look like it dead at anytime during the molt?

The Reason for the Question:
I bought a ~3" blue lobster/crayfish last weekend for a 2 year old fully cycled 32G that I've been wanting to change from a rearing-tank to something more interesting for a while now. He's on his own in there other than the odd deformed apisto fry. The tank is pH 6.8-7, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, hardness=50ppm, kH=80ppm (just dipped a 5-in-1 test strip) and the tank is ammonia free. Temperature is 72-75F. I did a 90% water change before he was purchased and a 30% water change last night. Now that that is out of the way, my issue and question....

For the first few days we had him, he was very active, constantly checking out every little pebble and feasting on the malaysian trumpet snails that infest all but my bare bottom tanks. For a staple I've been alternating between little pieces of spirulina wafers and New Life Spectrum H2O Stable Wafers. He would sniff those out within a minute of them hitting the water. For most of yesterday and the day before he stayed hiding in one of the many caves in the tank. I figured he was due for a molt.

Turns out while I was at work around 1pm my gf saw him in the back of the tank. She said he's go on his side and than kick himself back up again and kept doing this for a while. I didn't see it, but I assume it was initiating a molt. When I came home around 6pm he was/is in the back of the tank on his side with it back shell about 2-3mm off. Problem is he isn't moving at all and hasn't budged at all in the hour or so I've been home...

I suspect he died during the molt, but I'm leaving him be for now just in case this is normal for molting....

Colin

The Main Question:
When a blue lobster/crayfish molts, how long does the process typically take? Does the lobster/crayfish look like it dead at anytime during the molt?

The Reason for the Question:
I bought a ~3" blue lobster/crayfish last weekend for a 2 year old fully cycled 32G that I've been wanting to change from a rearing-tank to something more interesting for a while now. He's on his own in there other than the odd deformed apisto fry. The tank is pH 6.8-7, 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, hardness=50ppm, kH=80ppm (just dipped a 5-in-1 test strip) and the tank is ammonia free. Temperature is 72-75F. I did a 90% water change before he was purchased and a 30% water change last night. Now that that is out of the way, my issue and question....

For the first few days we had him, he was very active, constantly checking out every little pebble and feasting on the malaysian trumpet snails that infest all but my bare bottom tanks. For a staple I've been alternating between little pieces of spirulina wafers and New Life Spectrum H2O Stable Wafers. He would sniff those out within a minute of them hitting the water. For most of yesterday and the day before he stayed hiding in one of the many caves in the tank. I figured he was due for a molt.

Turns out while I was at work around 1pm my gf saw him in the back of the tank. She said he's go on his side and than kick himself back up again and kept doing this for a while. I didn't see it, but I assume it was initiating a molt. When I came home around 6pm he was/is in the back of the tank on his side with it back shell about 2-3mm off. Problem is he isn't moving at all and hasn't budged at all in the hour or so I've been home...

I suspect he died during the molt, but I'm leaving him be for now just in case this is normal for molting....

Colin
well the ph is ok, 6.5-8 is its range, the water may be a little cool, 75-80c being the best range, has the Cray moved since your last post? Moutling can be a really bad time for a Cray, it can also take some time. let me know how things have changed! you dont say but one thing a Cray really needs is well oxygenated water.

Thanks for the reply. It's confirmed he did die while attempting to molt. When I bought him e was misshing a claw so the store told me if there's an issue bring the receipt back and some water. This will be the first time I've claimed a "live fish warranty" in quite some time. As for the oxygenated water, I've been meaning to grab an airstone to put in there. In the meantime, my HOB filter on that tank is actually meant for a 50-60G and has a venturi valve on the intake.

An another note, given hat this tank has tons of inverts (trumpet snails and the blue cray), is there something solid I can add to the water to make sure they have the necesary components to growing healthy shells? A friend suggested bits of oyster shell, however I don't hav access to any right now. I've read mention of cuttlefish; is this cuttlebone for birds? I've also read mention of liquid supplements, however I prefer something solid that is always in the water. Would a bit of crushed coral help?

Colin

Thanks for the reply. It's confirmed he did die while attempting to molt. When I bought him e was misshing a claw so the store told me if there's an issue bring the receipt back and some water. This will be the first time I've claimed a "live fish warranty" in quite some time. As for the oxygenated water, I've been meaning to grab an airstone to put in there. In the meantime, my HOB filter on that tank is actually meant for a 50-60G and has a venturi valve on the intake.

An another note, given hat this tank has tons of inverts (trumpet snails and the blue cray), is there something solid I can add to the water to make sure they have the necesary components to growing healthy shells? A friend suggested bits of oyster shell, however I don't hav access to any right now. I've read mention of cuttlefish; is this cuttlebone for birds? I've also read mention of liquid supplements, however I prefer something solid that is always in the water. Would a bit of crushed coral help?

Colin
I'm sorry, it would kill me to lose Violet! :-( Keep an eye out for more posts from me, on moulting, if indeed there are any ways of helping the Cray, through feeding or chemical intervention.

Good question :D There has been a bit of work done on that, there is no evidence that Crays need anything more than a varied diet. In Cray farming, tests on this show no effect, even when adding calcium.

As a keeper of crustations I would say check your PH if its over 7 I wouldnt worry too much, but if its under you need something to buffer it and bring it back over 7. Crushed coral substrate can be added to to the substrate, also crushed oyster shells . Or you can add Ocean rock to your tank , this is used in chichlid tanks to keep the PH high and does a great job in smaller amounts to keep PH above 7 I use it myself.
I have read on here that alot of people feed mussel to cray/blue lobster. Buy it frozen then defrost as needed. Its a good cheap way of ensuring they are well fed as I wouldnt of thought they would get the right mix of nutrients with just trumpet snails.

Hope you have better luck next time :nod:

many beople do make additions to the feed to try and help them both grow and develop their shells, thing is Calcium does not even figure in the diet of a Cray! and infact plays no part in the formation or hardening of its carapace!! it is said that Ioden can be added to help the moult, but it is far from sure that it has any effect. as stated before raising the ph will be of no use, any where between 6.5 and 8 is fine. after checking it does seem that a slight reduction in tank temp, could help!! the suggested temp is around 72c, though this may be difficult in a community tank.

I'll pm you a link, that should answer your questions, and more. When i started looking into Cray keeping it became clear, that the only people who really knew, how to keep Crays, were professionals. it avoids the Forum "1'm right" problem.

one last point on food additives, Cray tend not to eat, for some time before and after, they moult! so how can any food related additions, have any effect?

many beople do make additions to the feed to try and help them both grow and develop their shells, thing is Calcium does not even figure in the diet of a Cray! and infact plays no part in the formation or hardening of its carapace!! it is said that Ioden can be added to help the moult, but it is far from sure that it has any effect. as stated before raising the ph will be of no use, any where between 6.5 and 8 is fine. after checking it does seem that a slight reduction in tank temp, could help!! the suggested temp is around 72c, though this may be difficult in a community tank.

I'll pm you a link, that should answer your questions, and more. When i started looking into Cray keeping it became clear, that the only people who really knew, how to keep Crays, were professionals. it avoids the Forum "1'm right" problem.

one last point on food additives, Cray tend not to eat, for some time before and after, they moult! so how can any food related additions, have any effect?
I'm afraid you should do a little more home work before you coment..
Check out this ..
Info on cray keeping
And nutrient uptake is also a big factor on healthy animals.. Yes all crustation go off their food before they moult, but that does not impact on the overall diet of the animal. Good nutrition on a day to day basis = better health.
Common sense really :shifty:

many beople do make additions to the feed to try and help them both grow and develop their shells, thing is Calcium does not even figure in the diet of a Cray! and infarct plays no part in the formation or hardening of its carapace!! it is said that Ioden can be added to help the moult, but it is far from sure that it has any effect. as stated before raising the ph will be of no use, any where between 6.5 and 8 is fine. after checking it does seem that a slight reduction in tank temp, could help!! the suggested temp is around 72c, though this may be difficult in a community tank.

I'm afraid you should do a little more home work before you comment..
Check out this ..
Info on cray keeping
And nutrient uptake is also a big factor on healthy animals.. Yes all coruscation go off their food before they moult, but that does not impact on the overall diet of the animal. Good nutrition on a day to day basis = better health.
Common sense really :shifty:
I did do my homework, as i said, "providing a cray had a varied diet" calcium and other, additives are not necessary, and Calcium has no part in the hardening of a Cray carapace! adding it has no effect. And a little research will confirme that this is true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perhaps you should use better reference sauces, they seem to be leading you off cource.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back