How Long Does The Nitrogen Cycle Take?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Tylerlott

Reaction score
So, I'm getting an aquarium soon and I was wondering how long does the nirogen cycle take? Thanks! :rolleyes:

Generally, new aquariums can be cycled in 2 to 6 weeks but the actual length of time often varies a lot.

Yep, takes some time. Also, if you want it to cycle quickly, try the fishless cycling you've probably seen around here. I did a fish in cycle with my first tank and it took FOREVER, not to mention I had to change about 30% of the water every day or every other day for about 7 weeks.

I have a 10 gallon I'm setting up right now that is currently being fishless cycled. Good luck!

When thinking about the length of time it takes to create a biofilter (to "cycle") it's always good to think about what this hobby is like over time. Once a tank is fully set up, cycled and stocked, the activities become very routine over long periods of time. You observe the fish and plants, you perform the weekly gravel-clean-water-change, you perform the monthly (or whatever) filter maintenance and perhaps you occasionally have to change your fish stock or, more often, make changes to your plant situation. A lot of that can get very, very routine.

By contrast, if you are a new beginner, the very first two months are a time of many discoveries and lots of changes of thinking. Yes, it can take two months or even more to get a good working biofilter going (or, by chance, it can take half that, as it is very unpredictable because water supplies are so unpredictable) but in the long run those two months or so will begin to seem very short when you look back.

It also turns out for beginners that there are a bunch of core skills that can make your time in the hobby so much more successful and predictable! There are the skills of good water changing technique, of good filter maintenance technique and one of the hardest of all: the creation of good planting and fish stocking plans.

The start of all these skills can fit very nicely into this first two month period while you are carrying out the bizarre business of growing these two odd species of bacteria in the filter (beginners almost never come into this hobby thinking they will be worrying about raising bacteria!) They think it will all be about buying and watching fish! But instead it is all about learning how to create great water chemistry and then allowing the beautiful fish to enjoy it once it's been created. The fishkeeper who understands the basics of good water is light years ahead of the fishkeeper who doesn't.

~~waterdrop~~ :)

When thinking about the length of time it takes to create a biofilter (to "cycle") it's always good to think about what this hobby is like over time. Once a tank is fully set up, cycled and stocked, the activities become very routine over long periods of time. You observe the fish and plants, you perform the weekly gravel-clean-water-change, you perform the monthly (or whatever) filter maintenance and perhaps you occasionally have to change your fish stock or, more often, make changes to your plant situation. A lot of that can get very, very routine.

By contrast, if you are a new beginner, the very first two months are a time of many discoveries and lots of changes of thinking. Yes, it can take two months or even more to get a good working biofilter going (or, by chance, it can take half that, as it is very unpredictable because water supplies are so unpredictable) but in the long run those two months or so will begin to seem very short when you look back.

It also turns out for beginners that there are a bunch of core skills that can make your time in the hobby so much more successful and predictable! There are the skills of good water changing technique, of good filter maintenance technique and one of the hardest of all: the creation of good planting and fish stocking plans.

The start of all these skills can fit very nicely into this first two month period while you are carrying out the bizarre business of growing these two odd species of bacteria in the filter (beginners almost never come into this hobby thinking they will be worrying about raising bacteria!) They think it will all be about buying and watching fish! But instead it is all about learning how to create great water chemistry and then allowing the beautiful fish to enjoy it once it's been created. The fishkeeper who understands the basics of good water is light years ahead of the fishkeeper who doesn't.

~~waterdrop~~ :)

100% spot on and perfect! :good:

A good thing to do whilst waiting for your filter to cycle is decide on stocking, both fish and plants. It's essential to plan what fish you will stock as they need to be compatible, they need to suit your water parameters and ultimately they need to be given what they need. Deciding what plants you are going to stock isn't as essential but obviously it's nice to find out what plants you will be able to grow and what plants you will not succeed with.

:)

My tank took 50 days to cycle

Since I`ve started keeping fish and reading other sections of the forum I cant help but notice that most of the people having problems seem to start their posts with something like "Bought a tank on Friday added fish 3 days later now they are all dieing"

As the other posters have said there is a mine of information on the net and even a bit of knowledge can avoid a disaster. Foremost in all you may learn will be the establishment and keeping of a good biological filter

Mines up to 27 days now (fish-less cycle) and it's not right yet.

The post by Waterdrop sums it all up perfectly really. It'll finish when it's ready & it can be a test of your patience at times, especially when levels start dropping & you see the readings show your bio-filter is starting to work.

Even after nearly 4 weeks I'll still have to dive onto here to look things up or ask questions at various points so don't worry, everyone's been there.

@anon02 - I know what you mean about the "added fish & 3 days later they are dying" syndrome. Might be because a certain large pet store advises that when selling livestock. Nearly fell on my #16##### when I heard it. :rolleyes:

Good posts from all above.
Fishless cycling can be completed in 4-6 weeks unless you are unlucky like myself when it took over two months & then bit me at then end. But patience has its rewards & I have a lovely fully stocked aquarium now.

I have always loved this chart from the FINS site:

n-cycle.gif

I think Iā€™ve completed my fish in cycle.
Today is day 24 and I have had 0ppm on both Ammonia and Nitrite since day 20, Nitrate has been steadily rising to 50ppm.
So fingers crossed Im all done for my fish load - 138LTR tank 11 Danios & 12 Juvenile Cichlids.

I think Iā€™ve completed my fish in cycle.
Today is day 24 and I have had 0ppm on both Ammonia and Nitrite since day 20, Nitrate has been steadily rising to 50ppm.
So fingers crossed Im all done for my fish load - 138LTR tank 11 Danios & 12 Juvenile Cichlids.

That's great news! looks like you're going to be having less water changes to do then. :good:

I know this is two years later, but I would second kaydee on their tank. I've got a 115L tank and am in the process of cycling.
Ā 
I started off with only a few fish (a) in case anything went wrong b) so harm to any fish is minimised). I must say though, I have two pregnancies so will keep an eye on that. I have some dalmation mollies and they were chasing each other, but rearranging and adding some more plants quickly stopped that.
Ā 
I'm coming up to day 15 now and Ammonia has reachedĀ 0-0.1 (reads 0 after a water change). Nitrite has been increasing (very slowly though)Ā just as ammonia has fallen and nitrate has been slowly but steadily increasing, so I am probably looking at around a month.
Ā 
I am recording everything though, so I will produce a graph at the end how it went!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back