How Long Can Fish Live In A Bucket?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lillykinloo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone can tell me how long it is safe to keep aquarium fish in a bucket (3.5 gallons)? I have 5 Diamond Tetras, but I do not have a second tank. How long can I keep them in the bucket without them being harmed? I do have an airstone and some plants that I could place in the bucket if this would help at all? Thanks for your help again! :)

Oh, and don't worry-I haven't placed them in the bucket yet. I wanted to check here first.

This is probably a stupid question, but why dont you buy a fish tank?

At least that way you wold be able to see the fish

I assuming this is temporary while you move/re-arrange your tank or something?

If not, I echo what DarkEntity said.

I vote to the above and add if it is temporary and you keep the water worm and aerated a day or 2

It just begs the question....why! ????

I was once asked 'How long can you keep a turkey in the freezer?'

I suggested that if it was a 5* freezer then 2-3 months was reasonable.

The reply was ' Well, I put the turkey in the freezer only last night and it was dead this morning!'

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:shifty: Sorry lillykinloo :devil:

Sorry my question was not clear enough. I do have a fish tank. I certainly don't want the fish to live in the bucket as a long term solution. I need to place the fish in the bucket while I change the substrate and add some plants. It definitely shouldn't take more than a day, but I wasn't sure if they would be harmed if left in the bucket for more than an hour or two. But, John59 answered my question...they shouldn't be left in there for more than a few hours at the most. So, it sounds like they'll be ok. Thanks everyone!

Sorry my question was not clear enough. I do have a fish tank. I certainly don't want the fish to live in the bucket as a long term solution. I need to place the fish in the bucket while I change the substrate and add some plants. It definitely shouldn't take more than a day, but I wasn't sure if they would be harmed if left in the bucket for more than an hour or two. But, John59 answered my question...they shouldn't be left in there for more than a few hours at the most. So, it sounds like they'll be ok. Thanks everyone!
Hope you didn,t take offence at my wicked sense of humour :devil: Hey, if you can get hold of a 'cool box' that will keep the water warm for longer but do make sure it is well rinsed with old water first as any detergent remains will be fatal (that goes for your bucket too!) :good:

Hope you didn,t take offence at my wicked sense of humour :devil: Hey, if you can get hold of a 'cool box' that will keep the water warm for longer but do make sure it is well rinsed with old water first as any detergent remains will be fatal (that goes for your bucket too!) :good:

No, not at all doresy! I really didn't make my question clear enough :blush:, & your joke about the turkey made me chuckle. Thanks for the recommendation. I didn't even think about using a cooler or some sort of insulated container...this would work well! Thanks again! :)

It just begs the question....why! ????

I was once asked 'How long can you keep a turkey in the freezer?'

I suggested that if it was a 5* freezer then 2-3 months was reasonable.

The reply was ' Well, I put the turkey in the freezer only last night and it was dead this morning!'

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:shifty: Sorry lillykinloo :devil:

My turkey has bird flu.....everytime i open the freezer he is shivering & sneezing!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back