How long can fish go for without food?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

welwinlobo

Reaction score
To all,
I was thinking about how long can a fish go without food.I don't mean to the extreme but for it to stay fit, how long?
Is there any fish which needs to befed more often than others?
What about angelfish?

I was told by the guy at the fish shop to not feed them for 5 days when I had problems with my cycling.They were all fine but when you do feed them again feed them as normal dont overfeed them becouse they have had a few days without food.

Adult fish can easily go two or three weeks without food without any problems, the only time you MUST feed every day without fail is if you have fry which can only eat very small ammounts and need to be fed at least twice every day.

CFC said:
Adult fish can easily go two or three weeks without food without any problems, the only time you MUST feed every day without fail is if you have fry which can only eat very small ammounts and need to be fed at least twice every day.
Since my post so far has been ignored, and since you mentioned feeding fry twice per day, I'll ask my question here:

Is there a rule of thumb as to how big or how old fry should be before they can be safely left w/o food for 2 or 3 days?

I have rainbow fry which are a month old and currently range in size between 1/3" and 1/2".

How do u know a fish is in its adult stages?
I have an angel fish and gouramies and i would like to know how to know if they are adult?

In most cases unless you bred the fish yourself or bought them from a breeder while still in a early juvinile state then your fish were already adult by the time they arived at the fish store. The only exceptions to this are the young of very large fish like arowana's and large catfish etc which are not considered adult until they are around a foot long.

Is there any special ways to recognize fishes to see whether thay are adult?
I wanted to know how long can my angelfish survive without food because it hasn't been eating for the past week!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back