How Is She Heavily Pregnant Again!? Photo

Jessman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, my female yellow tailed guppy dropped some fry last tuesday, she dropped around 7-8 healthy live fry, around 3 deformed, and a LOAD of normal eggs. anyway, she hasnt dropped any fry since (not that i know of) and she is still huge and has a big gravid spot, she never slimmed down after dropping the other fry. 
is it possible that she may have aborted her pregnancy before all had developed and she's carrying the pregnancy on with the remaining eggs in her now? any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks
she is the white/yellow one in the bottom.
(also, could anyone tell me if the black one at the top is due? she seems to have squared off but im not quite sure, thanks)
SAM_0596 (800x600) (640x480) (500x375).jpg

How long ago did you purchase these females, and where they pregnant already? 

From personal experience, pregnancies among guppies can be complicated due to transporting and rehoming.  They will sort themselves out eventually.  I've had females that I've purchased pregnant drop tons of healthy fry, and I've had females (same conditions) drop only three plus a lot of eggs.

The top guppy looks about ready to drop.  Make sure conditions are good.  Water quality checks out?  Does she have a hiding place?  If no, do you plan on isolating her/putting her in breeder box/net?  I don't recommend breeder boxes/nets for pregnant females.  Are there harassing males or predator fish? 

If you've done everything to make her comfortable, then it's all patience on your end.  Don't worry, it won't be long now.  :)

Here's to you and your pending fry! :drinks:

I bought both last monday, both pregnant. the yellow dropped the day after so it must be due to re-homing. do you think she will drop more fry soon?
there are plenty or hiding places and plants in the tank, ive also got a breeding net, contemplating whether to use in or not. 
i managed to save 5 of the fry last week and put them in a separate tank, one is deformed, so he will have to go soon. the other 4 are healthy and thriving, growing very well! :)

My oldest female dropped her last batch in a staggered manner, 3 drops nearly a week apart.  So, it is possible that it happens that way form time to time and not due to the trauma of moving.

I've not had guppies far enough along when buying them to have a drop as a result but have definately heard others talking of their dropping shortly after buying.

Yes when we bought her she was huge. my mum was the one that went to pick them up and she didnt notice that she was pregnant until i told her how big she was lol.  i think mine might be like your oldest, because this one looks ready to drop now, only a week after her last batch! she might be just holding them in, livebearers can do that cant they? and let the rest out when shes ready maybe?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back