How Fast Do Green Terrors Grow?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jason n

Reaction score
i just bought a new gt it is 2 and a half inches how fast do they grow?

It is dependant on how much food it gets, food quality and the water quality. The better the food and water conditions, the faster it will grow(within reason of coarse).

i just bought a new gt it is 2 and a half inches how fast do they grow?

Had my GTs for roughly 2yr, male and 2 females grew pretty slow, alot slower then i've heard.
Recently my male has hit roughly 5inch and seems to have hit a rapid growth boost.

I'll admit there diet wasnt the best when i first got them as i didn't know much about fish/fish keeping.

Pretty quick, if I remember rightly, about half an inch a month. But this does depend on how often/how much/what you feed your fish. I feed mine a variety of foods once a day. HTH.

Hi my GT is an extremely slow grower compared to his tankmates....I think most of the time with cichlids the most dominant fish in the tank have a more accelerated growth, unless they are naturally quick growers i.e. Oscars, Trimacs, Pearsei etc.

Depends on a lot of variants, Tank size is a big factor IME, bigger tank=quicker growth, As said above, a dominant male will outgrow females and subdominant males, as is common with a lot of amphilophus and obviously oscars. A good filter is VITAL to growth too, quality of food also, I bought a trio of green terrors a while back, about 5 years, and they were an adult breeding trio within 2 years, they did have a 4x2x2 all their life though :good:

Edit: Another thing which can effect growth is tank temperature!

Oh, I should add, mine was female and she started off in a 190L tank, so not a big tank. She grew about half an inch a month, then when she went in a bigger tank she started to bulk out a hell of a lot as well.

Jason, did you get your previous stocking issues sorted?

Most reactions

trending

Back