The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hyrulelegend091

Reaction score
Hi everyone! If you are on fishlore.com as well, you may have already seen this post, but I always love getting a variety of opinions! Here's the story: A few months ago, my sister got three bettas. Cool, except she claims she "didn't know how to clean the tanks." I only found this out after the ammonia levels had reached incredibly high levels! I felt so, so bad (I still do). Unfortunately, two of the bettas were already suffering from kidney failure (dropsy, I assume?). I read online that that is basically a death sentence for fish, so I have tried to take over and make them as comfortable as possible, even if there is nothing I can do to lengthen their lives. Luckily, one of the three fared much better than the other two. I bought a new tank (3 gallon) and decided to take him in. I have owned a few bettas in the past (all were healthy, lived 4-5 years), and I already had two at the time of taking this one, but I have never dealt with a sick betta before. The only reason I could tell the other two were sick is because they were so, so sick that it was really obvious :( Again, I still feel awful about it. I know I should have checked on my sister sooner to see how she was handling them.

That brings me to my current question. The little guy I rescued from this mess seems to be doing a whole lot better, but I feel like I need some more experienced opinions. I have attached a couple of pictures of him. How does he look? Are there any diseases you think he has that I just haven't recognized? I've concluded that he has some fin rot, but over the past few days, it does not seem to be getting any worse. I plan to keep a close eye on him as he heals. If you notice anything, please comment below with your recommendations for treating whatever it is.

Spoopy 1.JPG

Spoopy 2.JPG

Spoopy 3.JPG

I really hope that there's a chance I can save him. He's very beautiful and very friendly too! He's also pretty active and eats just like a betta should. I've decided to call him Spoopy (since he kind of looks ghost-like, haha)!

He is very nice.

How big is his tank?
Is it filtered
Is it cycled.
How often do you change water?
How much do you change
Have you got a heater?
Whats the water temp?

Definetly trust Nick on this one.He is basically the betta guru of the site.Definetly love the name Spoopy though!

He is very nice.

How big is his tank?
Is it filtered
Is it cycled.
How often do you change water?
How much do you change
Have you got a heater?
Whats the water temp?

The tank is 5 gallons. I have a low-flow filter, and it is cycled. I change the water about 30% one a week with a 100% water change every couple of weeks (with additional spot cleaning of course). I do have a heater that is set at 79 degrees Fahrenheit. Please let me know if there is anything you think I should change! Thanks! :)

Looks fine to me, 100% water changes are not necessary, in fact they can be counter productive and stress the Betta, you have to net him then transfer him to a holding container then put him back in the tank and the water conditions are not the same and so on.

Heres what I do.
I change 50% of the water once a week,

I pre heat and pre treat the water in a bucket before adding it to the tank.

I feed my fish.

I wipe the front glass with a sponge from the inside, I do not bother with the back and sides.

I just gave up trying to vacuum the substrate because, theres hardly any exposed.

Oh yes I sometimes remember to use a bit of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Plant Supplement for my plants,

Thats it.

Have you got any live plants including some floating ones.

This is my 2 foot tank.
a8BMCkF.jpg

and my 6 foot 100 gallon sorority tank is bellow.

Sounds good! I'll definitely try that. Your tanks are beautiful!

I don't have any live plants at the moment, but which ones would you suggest for a 5 gallon? I have fine sand as a substrate for now because I didn't have anything else, but this could definitely be changed. If I would need a light or CO2 diffuser, please also give your recommendations!

Fine sand is good.

• Java Moss tied to small rocks or wood
  • Anubias, tied to bits of wood.
  • Java Fern
  • Crypts
  • Water sprite as a floating plant, you only need a small bit of this, a bit the size of your fingernail will cover the tank in a few weeks.
All these work with low light.
Live plants also help keep the water clean.

My 5 gallon cube, all I did was throw in a bunch of anubias.
687474703a2f2f6936352e74696e797069632e636f6d2f6479767067312e6a7067

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back