How Do You Transfer Fish From Tank To Pond?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

stuarty

Reaction score
Hi

After my 2 comet goldfish growing too much for the tank i've managed to find a pond to re-home them in which has similarly sized fish already living there.

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of the safest way to transfer and aclimatise the fish into the pond?

Ta

Depends on where you are in the world. Im going to assume Britain for now and say its really close to not being able to put tank fish into a pond. They need time to acclimate before the winter comes.

If you still want to do it and cant wait for late spring then get them into the plastic bags you get from pet stores and float them in the pond for half an hour. Roll down the top of the bags if possible and using a cup take out a half cup of water and replace with pond water every 15 minutes for an hour and they should be ready for release.

How big are the fish as well as they need to be quite big for their first winter?

Please forgive my intrusion here, but I too am looking to re-home my goldie in one of my mum's ponds next spring. I would be most interested to know whether he will be the right size. At the moment he is just coming up to 2" long, but is growing rapidly so I would expect him to be substantially bigger come spring time. I'm hoping that he won't outgrow my tank between now and then, fingers crossed!

15 gallons is small for a growing goldie so you will need to do regular water changes, probably 3 times a week at 50%

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back