How Do You Get Your Cucumber To The Bottom Of The Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stick a teaspoon through it or plants weights.

Ian

I prefer a fork, you can pierce very close and along the skin. I normally attached two pieces on after removing the seeds

Ive got a screw cumber thing but its on a long piece of metal so i don't have to put my hands in the water.

I bet if you got a wire coat hanger you could make some sort of screw cumber thing.

Ive got a screw cumber thing but its on a long piece of metal so i don't have to put my hands in the water.

I bet if you got a wire coat hanger you could make some sort of screw cumber thing.

That's not a bad idea, you could make the dead weight from spirals with a hoop at the end, and a handle with hook...

how long do you leave it in for,all my fish seem to be avoiding it like the plague!

i wouldn't leave it in longer than a day, two at the most - or it will start to rot. my fish never went for it other than my pleco who loves it

I know what you mean - I only seem him right in the morning before i turn the lights on, when I put cucumber in the tank, or when I drop in algae wafers

Sometimes I use plant weights and others a vegetable clip that attaches on the glass with a suction cup.

PairBNeating.jpg

I don't remove the seeds but prefer to buy thinner zucchinis that have very small seeds. They don't make much of a mess and everything gets eaten. A slice this size gets eaten completely in about two days by two bristlenoses the size you see in the picture.

To prepare it, I wash and slice it in appropriate sized pieces. Then I lay them out on a cookie sheet and freeze them. The next day I store them in a freezer box with pieces of waxed paper between the layers. Everything gets eaten and I am sure to always have a good supply available.

freezingzucchini.jpg

I think I'll give that a try Inchworm, I always end up throwing some cucumber away. Thanks for the info, never thought of freezing this too :)

It's got me thinking, do you know of good DIY recipes you can freeze? I am already freezing skinned/mushed up peas in old frozen food trays to save on time...anything else worth considering not just for Plecs?

I'll have to search the forum for member recipes...

Hi kaivalagi :)

I've frozen lettuce, kale, cucumbers, yellow summer squash, and butternut squash the same way. Since the kale and butternut squash are tougher than the other vegetables, I blanched them in boiling water for a few minutes first. For the others the freezing starts the process of breaking down the tissues slightly and the food is edible for the BNs (and otos too) as soon as it is put in the tank.

Here are a couple of old threads about homemade fish foods.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=296619&view=&hl=recipes&fromsearch=1

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=255905&view=&hl=recipes&fromsearch=1

Whether or not they would be appropriate for the kind of fish you have would depend on what their diet naturally includes. I hope this helps. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back