how do you do water changes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

F

fish&chips

hi im needing a water change soon and read by leaving it in buckets and then bottles for around week or longer will get rid of the chalk ?

so please please tell me how you personally do your water changes so i can try sum out till i find the way suits me

pls state if you use conditionare water treatment or just water left for days weeks b4 using it

Personally i just syphon 20% of the water volume out of each of the tanks running the hose straight into the garden, then i go around and top them all up with the RO water which i bought from the lfs before hand. Once a month i sometimes give the gravel a light hoovering with the gravel vac while doing the water change if it looks like the snails arent doing their job.

I syphon off about 20%, do a light gravel vac - replant all the upturned plants and fill up with dechlorinated water which I take straight from the tap, with a little hot water added (I don't have a hot water tank - my hot water comes from a combi boiler that heats up the water as you use it) till I get the same temp as the tanks.

dechlorinated water which I take straight from the tap, with a little hot water added

how do you get it dechlorinated if straight from tap ..also i have the same kinda boiler but when i run hot water is even more chalky

just i need to do 1 in cpl days and im really undure wot to do ..i have 10 litres now of bottled water that has sat for 5 days

and to cfc the water you buy 20%how much is that

ide prefer that as i no it then is right i dont need tought it

also HOW MANY LTRS TO GALLON i cant work out how the hell to put the conditioner in says 1 drop per gallon lol

i have it in litres 4.2 ltrs to gallon ??

f&c check out this earlier post on conversion calculators - v handy indeed. Just to confuse things UK and US gallons are different!! :S

1 gallon 4.5 i just rang my local garage hahahaha

many a molly well damn me IM SO sorry

wot idiots you would think a garage would no gallons and litrs how stupid r sum people

you are totally correct thanks 1 gallon 0.8327 UK gal 3.7854

I do the same as Gadazobe.

Syphon out 20% into a bucket (use this to feed the house plants).

Refill the bucket (s) with tap water (hot and cold) till its the right temperature, add some de-chlorinator and Bob's your Uncle.

thanks guys

well to hapily inform sum you lol I DIDNT BOIL WATER i forgot that was summut else WOT A PLUMB AY

well i got rnd 10 ltrs of water from tap been left for 5 days

3.7 litrs to gallon thats around 3 drops water care so all dun just leaving it to get right temp will change water in hour let ya no how i get on

the boild water as mum rememinded me was for my interpet water care said boil kettle ad 3 qtrs of pint of boiling water mix the water treatment in till it disapers then leave to cool and poor in

soo weyy hey im getting there and damn i got lot posts i LOVEEEEEEE FWISHYSSS

sorry, I didn't make myself clear - I fill up buckets straight from the tap and then add my dechlorinater. BTW - how does your local LFS cope with the chalky water?

IM NOT SURE BUT BEING ON THE SEAside kent
our water is very bad and low preasure on boiler
the lfs is pretty new i thnk been there few months
but there knowledge is amazing any person in area will say go talk to the boy lol his about 15 and knows soo much

they have marine tanks also very well setup shop and clean
ill ask next time im in buying plec

1 thing when i bought my fish tho they put like a blue liqud in the bag i said why you doing that he said it keeps them calm till they get home

is that normal i heard of ppl using stuff to kinda nock fish out to import them

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back