Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How do you clean a python water changer

Discussion in 'Tropical Discussion' started by Fishmanic, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Fishmanic

Fishmanic Moderator
    Moderator Tank of the Month Winner!

My python water changer's long vinyl tubing is getting pretty gross with black accumulation of algae or other buildup due to the wetness of the tube after coiling it up for storage. How can I get rid of this gunk buildup or do I have to get new vinyl tubing.

2. AbbeysDad

AbbeysDad Member

I just cleaned mine! I have an eco 396 submersible pump I use for water transfers. I put the pump in the sink with enough warm water to cover the pump and added some bleach. The hose was coiled on the counter with the other end clamped so the outlet was into the sink of water. Plugged in the pump and let run. Here and there I would press the tubing to dislodge stubborn crud. After the tubing was cleaned, I emptied the sink, rinsed, then filled with clean water and pumped again to ensure the chlorine was cleared out.
    The tubing is like new now. It would be more difficult w/o the pump. Maybe add a bleach/water solution using a funnel and chase the solution around inside the tubing being careful not to have it escape where you don't want bleach water!? (clamp both ends high?)

3. Byron

Byron Member

AbbeysDad has the answer. I would add one thing though...after the rinse you must air dry the entire length of tubing before using it (assuming it is used to fill a tank with fish; if using only to drain, this doesn't matter). Bleach can remain unless air dried. I went into this with a microbiologist friend a few years back. I have never bothered to do this because I have 75 feet of tubing to connect the sink to the fish room tanks and I could not see how I was going to lay this out in order to dry it. Water (or moisture) remains in it from week to week now.

4. Fishmanic

Fishmanic Moderator

I just cleaned my python tubing reasonably well without bleach.

I disconnected the main part of the tube at the junction for the shut off valve. I put aside the valve with the short tubing that goes to the main large tube. . I then wadded up a piece of paper towel approximated an inch long and slightly larger than the diameter of the vinyl tubing and jammed it into the faucet end of the tubing. I screwed on the hose directly to the faucet (without connecting the suction attachment]. I then turned on the hot water at full blast. The paper traveled from the faucet the length of the tubing and came out the at the other end loaded with gunk. I did this procedure with new paper about 5 times and then ran the hot water for about another 30 seconds longer. Then ran hot and cold water mixed at full force for another 30 seconds.

Although not completely devoid of the black gunk, it is much much cleaner than before and there was no need to use bleach.

5. AbbeysDad

AbbeysDad Member

Good for you! (Woulda been a bear if the paper wad got stuck somewhere in the middle!)

6. Fishmanic

Fishmanic Moderator

I have strong water pressure so that wasn't an issue

7. AbbeysDad

AbbeysDad Member

I rinse the hose well and it was about a week that the hose was coiled empty before next use....also, I use the same pump/hose to drain tanks so a fair amount of tank water flushes the hose(s) before any refilling is done. :)
    (On a 30/50 psi well system, I don't think I'd try the OP's paper towel process)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Deanasue

Deanasue Fish Addict
    Tank of the Month Winner!

Be sure to turn it back to drain after filling and allow the water to run out before rolling it up. I have never had algae in mine but I store it in a warm, dark garage. I have bleached it after disease though. I then rinsed real well and ran Prime through it. Then hung out to dry. Good luck!