How Do I Tell When My Platy Is Ready To Give Birth?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishkeeper694

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi, i have a female platy, who i think is pregnant, she is starting to get really big now, and her belly looks slightly rectangle. How will i know when she is ready to have her babies? so i can put her in the breeding trap :) xx

My platy started swimming up and down frantically. She started hiding behind the filter and in other places. When I saw that I put her in my breeders trap and everything when good from there. She will be quite large and can barely see gravid spot.

You probably shouldn't keep her in the breeder trap those. They can be stressful for the fish and possibly cause miscarraige or death. Because she is already in there, if she seems okay, it should be okay to leave her, but I wouldn't leave her for more the 4-6 hours.

You probably shouldn't keep her in the breeder trap those. They can be stressful for the fish and possibly cause miscarraige or death. Because she is already in there, if she seems okay, it should be okay to leave her, but I wouldn't leave her for more the 4-6 hours.
ok :) thankyou to everyone for all your help x

When platies go into labor they square off, isolate them selves from the other fish or go to a corner of the tank, stop eating, and will get a small clear tube like thing where the babies will come out. After 24 hours you will have fry.
Keep the mother out of the breeders nets she will be fine without it. Make sure she and the other fish are well fed and when you notice that she has given birth feed her because she hasnt raten in 24 or more hours.

Hope this helped,
Mollie

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back