How Do I Get Rid Of This Kind Of Algae?!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Genesis

If you're a cory and you know it clap your.. hands
Reaction score
It's been plaguing me for nearly a year.
I went on holiday for six days and on my return I found it has covered every side of my tank.
The lights are only on for 9 hours a day.

algea1986.jpg

algea2517.jpg

algea3766.jpg

????

also when u have scraped it off do a water change, it will remove some of the algae you have removed that is now floating around in the tank

Looking through all the green spot algae, I see a lot of unhealthy Amazon swords.

You will need a dosing schedule that satisfies their nutrient requirements, or the algae will never go. Try something like TPN+.

Poorly plants will be a constant supply of ammonia, triggering algae.

Do you inject CO2, and how much light do you have?

Dave.

Looking through all the green spot algae, I see a lot of unhealthy Amazon swords.

You will need a dosing schedule that satisfies their nutrient requirements, or the algae will never go. Try something like TPN+.

Poorly plants will be a constant supply of ammonia, triggering algae.

Do you inject CO2, and how much light do you have?

Dave.

I don't use CO2, no.
The tank is not near a window.
I have one standard Jewel bulb and one 'plant growing' bulb both with reflectors.
I'll invest in some ferts soon.

Got ferts and a paint scraper, seems to have done the trick :D

i would have thought a couple of 1 and 1/2 inch BN's would love this tank!

i would have thought a couple of 1 and 1/2 inch BN's would love this tank!

Yeah, I'm gonna be investing in some very soon :)

you shouldnt buy fish just to get rid of the algae as then your really just covering it up rather than sorting it out.

I know aaronnorth has got a good algae guide in his signature though :good:

Also having to much lighting without co2/ferts can cause algae problems so it may not be a great idea to have reflectors on the bulbs!

algae magnets

Don't work with spot algae. I have this same problem.

The only way I can get rid of this stuff is to scrape it off with a razor blade. Apply pressure to the glass with the sharp end and only scrape upwards. Just incase you put a scrape in the glass.

you shouldnt buy fish just to get rid of the algae as then your really just covering it up rather than sorting it out.

Why? imbalance or not, if the fish eat the algae, more will grow, using up whatever you assume is causing the problem, and the result would be balance. well sort of. surly a more natural way to do things.

Why? imbalance or not, if the fish eat the algae, more will grow, using up whatever you assume is causing the problem, and the result would be balance. well sort of. surly a more natural way to do things.

Yeah, as long as you can't see the algea, then it isn't a problem.
The only problem with algea is it's negative aesthetic value.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back