How Do I Clean Alage Off Live Plants?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Depends. Cherry shrimps do the trick for me. Ive noticed java ferns do like to get some black flecks of algae in them. You can always rub the leaves gently, and I do mean gently, to see if it'll come off.

You don't.

You ID the algae type and address the root cause. Once that issue/the imbalance that's causing the algae is sorted, the plants will take care of it for you. Cleaning or adding new stock to take care of algae is a waste of money.

I've found with Java you can often rub the leaf between your fingers to clean it off.
Depending on the algae type you can sometimes "spot dose" liquid carbon to kill it too.

You don't.

You ID the algae type and address the root cause. Once that issue/the imbalance that's causing the algae is sorted, the plants will take care of it for you. Cleaning or adding new stock to take care of algae is a waste of money.

....you'll probably want to clean the algae off as part of this process.....

I've tied washing algae off of my broad leaf plants, swords and anubias. As long as the plant is producing new foliage, I let the algae stand. The darker color is about the only plant color other than green and yellow I have in my tank, so I look at it as contrast.

I've found with Java you can often rub the leaf between your fingers to clean it off.
Depending on the algae type you can sometimes "spot dose" liquid carbon to kill it too.

You don't.

....you'll probably want to clean the algae off as part of this process.....

If by clean you mean manual removal and trimming effected leaves then I agree.
Waste of time cleaning a leaf though. Get rid of it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back