How close is my platy to dropping?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

skaram00sh

Reaction score
I'm worried about my pregnant platy. I dont really know how close she is to dropping and she's a little stunted due to being in the breeder box too long. Will she be okay? Images
unknown.png
unknown.png

Take her out of the breeding box and leave her in the main tank. It can stress the female platy out being confined to a small enclosure and they can either give birth prematurely or hold onto the babies.

Have lots of plants in the tank, especially floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) so the babies can hide among them. You can use a small plastic container to scoop the fry out and put them into the breeding net.

Female livebearers carry young for about 1 month. If she has had babies previously (eg: 3 weeks ago), then work back to the date and you will find out approximately when she is due. Probably sometime in the next week or two. :)

she isn't in a breeder box, was talking about when she was a fry. pretty sure this is her first batch too but thanks! im setting up a separate tank to raise the fry in.

she isn't in a breeder box, was talking about when she was a fry. pretty sure this is her first batch too but thanks! im setting up a separate tank to raise the fry in.
Make sure the new tank is cycled before adding the babies as they will be very sensitive.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back