How Can I Farm Fresh Water River Shrimp Please?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Unseen

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
well my friend has just bought me about 100 river shrimp. i assume they are fresh water ones. i plan to breed them if it is possible in a small tank. i understand that i guess in rivers they may need flowing water so i can't really do that. just wondering if it is possible for me to keep them in a 5 gallon tank and hope that they breed. :)

i want to use them as feeders. just trying to give my fishes a varied diet of pellets, flakes and live food.

unfortunately i don't like having bloodworms in my fridge :p so thats why i am thinking of this as a form of a meatier food. thanks

Depends how small they are 100 shrimp if they are only 5-6mm big is not that many :) even if they are a couple of cm big they will still only add a small bioload to the water.

thanks :) got abouit 50 more like when counting. they are doing great in the tank. i put in tiny pieces of broken flakes and algae wafers. gotta clean it up every 2 days. hopefully babies spawn :)

Are these the ones sold as feeders?? I was under the impression that they are brackish. I may be wrong :rolleyes: Keep us updated :D

I'm pretty certain they are brackish

They also live in full Marine - I've had some living in my overflow for about a year

yeah the lfs called them river shrimp which lead me to believe they were fresh. well i havent asked them yet, ill be there next sunday.

anyway the shrimp are doing fine. they actually seem to have some intelligence to them. they can tell when i put flakes in and they can also pick up large chunks of algae wafers. very strong. i have seen the bigger oens pick up the chunks and climb ontop of the plant sot hat they don't share any food lol.

well some of the larger ones are starting to get some kinda dark patches in the middle. i think they are eggs.

i have done some research and i think they are ghost shrimp. they can live in fresh water. my friend said that he had a bunch in his waterfall for his in his indoor pond. (member is zeo). he use to leave them there and they would stay there for eyars and he would top them up every so often.

through breeding accoriding to most these shrimp lay eggs in brackish to salty water. however some fish keepers have stated that they have also been known to breed in freshwater and ponds. all you have to do is seperate the pregnant shrimp from the others until the shrimp hatch.

feeding the baby shrimps is abit harder because they eat very small food. baby brine shrimps and even finely crushed flakes should be good enough.

they are all doing fine which is great. not even one death since the first day. i think some musta died during transport.

well they are surviving and hopefully they can also have babies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back