How Big Should Fry Get Before

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bgormley

Reaction score
Hi guys
Well, last night i decided to rescue my 1 platy fry and get him/her into a breeder net so he doesn't get eaten. I took out all the ornaments/artificial plants and what do i see?? 3 LITTLE FRY!! Managed to catch them no bother but now i'm wondering how long they can stay in the net before i put them back in with the grown-ups. As you can see which fish i have in my signature, what do you think? I've given them plenty of foliage to hide under (in the net).

If this keeps up (and with Platys and Guppys it surely will!) i'm going to get a fry tank, but what do the rest of you do with your fry if you don't want to keep them? Give them away? Sell them?

Any info would be gratefully received! And i'll try to get them to pose for some piccies for you...! :)

Hi,

I keep platies but I just let nature take its course when it comes to fry. otherwise I would be completely over run with them. My tank is well planted with lots of hiding places so a few of the babies do survive.

At the mo I have a little female who is approx 6 weeks old and none of the other fish chase her at all. She is just getting some colour in and is the cutest thing ever.

I have an arrangement with my lfs though so should more survive in the future (I now have only females so hopefully there won't be too many more births) they will take them from me.

Good luck with the babies

hi
congrats on your babies. ask around at your lfs & you should find one hopefully to take them but dont expect loads of ££ usually they will give you some credit or like in our case last time a tub of fishfood for 25 little swordtails - suited us fine we had 50+ survive & we're just glad to be able to get them rehomed. we now dont take mum out & put her in our fry tank as we dont want the stress of having to rehome 50 & more babies every couple of months, we let nature take its course in the big tank but if i do spot any survivors i CANT leave them i take them out & put in our little tank. this means we've only about 2-5 babies at a time much easier to rehome.
you could also try advertising on this & other forums as you never know you might have someone in your area who would like a couple, gnerally with common livebearers you wont get much if any money but if you just want to find them a good home just advertise this - worth a try.
our fry tank is about 27L (18 inches long) & you'd be surprised how quickly those teeny babies grow & the tank starts to look a little crowded.
i wouldnt put any fry that can fit into any other fishes mouth into your big tank. our 1st mollie survivor over a year ago we let grow till about just under 1 inch long before putting her in with the big boys!!!
enjoy!!!

Hi guys
Well, last night i decided to rescue my 1 platy fry and get him/her into a breeder net so he doesn't get eaten. I took out all the ornaments/artificial plants and what do i see?? 3 LITTLE FRY!! Managed to catch them no bother but now i'm wondering how long they can stay in the net before i put them back in with the grown-ups. As you can see which fish i have in my signature, what do you think? I've given them plenty of foliage to hide under (in the net).

If this keeps up (and with Platys and Guppys it surely will!) i'm going to get a fry tank, but what do the rest of you do with your fry if you don't want to keep them? Give them away? Sell them?

Any info would be gratefully received! And i'll try to get them to pose for some piccies for you...! :)
I know how you feel Ive set up a 10g fry tank now because my angels were eating my guppy and platy fry. I got angels to keep the numbers down , didnt want to be overun with the same type of fish but felt so guilty when the little babies were getting eaten. I keep a note of when they are due now. Yesterday platy gave birth(exactly 3 wks from last time )so I was ready for her . Took her out , she was easy to catch because they go into a hypnotised state , let her give birth to 10 in the fry tank then put her back in the main tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back