Horrifying Tank Deaths: Please Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AllNighter

Reaction score
I have been keeping fish for a long time, but I have NEVER had something like this happen! I've no clue what could have gone wrong....
Here's the situation:
I've been away from home for about a week, the care of my tank was entrusted to a friend and fellow fish mom during that time, due to my Betta's somewhat high-maintenance needs.
I only got home just yesterday. Upon checking on my tank, I noticed that Vivid (my Betta) had a small amount of fin rot (or something that looked like it) happening on his tail; although a water test proved that all levels were no different than usual. I could find no signs of it on any other fins. I went to my local pet store to find something to treat it, they only had one thing, and it was highly recommended by the store's fish expert, so I purchased it. It's called MELAFIX Fish First Aid: Heals fish infections: All Natural: Heals damaged fins and open wounds. The clerk said it was great for fin rot.
As the tank has so far only had two doses out of the suggested 7, I don't know if it was helping his poor tail or not, but it DOES seem to have had a horrible affect on all other living things in the tank. The Duckweed has shriveled up and died, ALL of the Ghost Shrimp have died, and even the little Mystery Snail has died, due to the extreme swelling, I presume, or perhaps that was just a side effect. Thankfully Vivid is still alive, although he is VERY weak, and as he already tended to be a sickly fish, I'm very worried for him, and I don't know what to do! Was it this MELAFIX stuff that has done this, of have I somehow done something wrong unknowingly?

Please help me, I don't know what to do...

+ I followed all instructions on the bottle to the letter: overdosing is not a possibility.

It sure sounds like a reaction to copper which would kill your inverts (but plants?!?!).
Make sure that's not in the ingredients.
Hopefully someone that knows more about this will come along soon for you.
Sorry for the mess and loss :(

The first thing to do is a big water change to remove the melafix. It is not recommended with fish that have a labyrinth organ (gouramis & bettas).

Melafix is a "natural" product that is more of an antiseptic rather than an antibacterial - like us washing a cut with antiseptic to clean it but we'd need something stronger if it got infected.
The reason it shouldn't be used with labyrinth fish is because it contains aromatic oils which interfere with the labyrith organ. Melafix contains 'melaleuca as cajeput oil' (from the data sheet on API's website).

It would not surprise me if cajeput oil is also bad for shrimps and snails.

The best cure for finrot is lots of clean water = more water changes than usual.

I agree. I will not use Melafix, or any similar "cure all" product. I did use Melafix once some years back, and the reaction from the fish clearly indicated they were severely stressed. I did a major water change and the fish returned to normal.

On a general point, these "cure all" products that claim to be natural (they may be) and cure all sorts of related (maybe) issues, usually do nothing beneficial. Avoid them. All substances added to the water in an aquarium will impact all living things in it to some extent. For a serious disease issue, try to identify the issue and then find the best recommended safe treatment. As essjay mentioned, clean water is your first treatment (a major water change) and often is all you need.

Something may have occurred during your week's absence, worth looking into.

Byron.

I have Melafix and have used it before if the fish is severely Infected then its going to need something much stronger .Now u have said it is a betta fish( Siamese Fighting Fish) there is something called BettaFix Have never used that but it is made with bettas in mind .Others have stated the Best treatment is to keep water clean maybe add some Methylene Blue which is a antiseptic and is proven to make fish not so stressed while keeping the water clean .

Bettafix is dilute melafix. Because bettas are usually kept in small tanks it is easier to measure the dose with a dilute formulation
But despite the name, I would still not use this in a tank with a betta. Just because it is made does not mean it is a good thing to use.

Methylene blue will kill the filter bacteria. If it must be used, it should be used as a bath not in the tank. It will also stain white silicone blue.

Bettafix is dilute melafix. Because bettas are usually kept in small tanks it is easier to measure the dose with a dilute formulation
But despite the name, I would still not use this in a tank with a betta. Just because it is made does not mean it is a good thing to use.

Methylene blue will kill the filter bacteria. If it must be used, it should be used as a bath not in the tank. It will also stain white silicone blue.
True it would stain it i forgot to mention that but then again only use it if the betta needs help with the rot

Fin rot is the direct result of poor tank conditions, The most effective medicine that you can use to cure fin rot at a mild stage is clean water and Aquarium Salt.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for all your help, I don't think I will be revisiting that shop any time soon, except perhaps to return the Melafix. Also, Vivid seems to be improving, he is in the quarantine tank until I finish purging the Melafix out of his. Also, I believe I found the cause of the fin rot. His tank is heated by these crystal lamps, almost like reptile lamps, only for fish tanks. Apparently she turned them off and on at irregular intervals time the entire time I was gone. :(

For future trips away (and for when your at home as well) you just need a timer to turn the lights on and off, and tell her not to touch the lights :)

I'm glad you found the cause and received all of this great info!
Very informative!
Good luck with your betas healing!

Just picking up on the light timer suggestion...this is very important on a permanent basis. Light does affect fish, as it does all animals including humans (the often-mentioned issues many people have with daylight savings time and jet lag are both related to the light period changing). So it is best for all fish to have a regular identical period of light each 24 hours, and just one such period of "daylight." A period of total darkness lasting several hours is also essential to the circadian rhythm of fish and other animals.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back