Hornwort

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

atmmachine816

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Went to an lfs today and they had some hornwort I have been eyeing for awhile now which was 1.69$ for a bunch. Well the girl working there that got it for me couldn't seem to figure out how to separate it and find the stems so she took a MASSIVE amount and just stuffed it in the bag for me and asked me if I jusst wanted one. I looked at the bag and it was one fourth full and I said no way. I took it home and measured it in the bag and its approx. 4" long 3" high 5" deep. That's all for only 1.69 and those measurements were taken when it was stuffed in the bag. I'm thinking it will easy completely cover a standard 10 gallon tank and still have extra. Stil have to clean it though but that is a GREAT deal.

Austin

Well took me over a half hour to clean it up, but finally it's done, now acclimating to my tank. Most of it was in great condition, some strands over 3' long. I have tons. Once I make sure I killed all the snails it wil probably go on the plant swap board.

Austin

Do you guys think it will grow better in my 30gallon with a 20w bulb or my 10g with a 10w bulb (at the moment, hopeing to get another 10w by the end of the month)?

Well finally got it in my 10 gallon to double check for snails. covers my whole tank and some is sinking to the bottom because the can't float on the top there is so much.

Over night it already grew and all the brown stuff is now green, this stuff really is amazing.

This stuff grew so much already I have had to put in a breeder box to keep it away from my filter because it keeps knocking all the leaves off and I put part of some hornwort in the breeder box to really see how much it grows a day.

Anybody want some?

Austin

This stuff grew so much already I have had to put in a breeder box to keep it away from my filter because it keeps knocking all the leaves off and I put part of some hornwort in the breeder box to really see how much it grows a day.

Anybody want some?

Austin

Id love some!

Many people don't like hornwort. I love it. It's like an underwater pine tree. It's hardy; it's green; it grows quickly; you can tuck some in the gravel or let it flow on the surface. Good stuff. SH

It almost seems to be shedding, could the baby guppies be ripping the little leaves off. And yes I love it, looks like an underwater forest.

It's the worst plant I've ever bought, It just continued to shed branches and cluttered my gravel bed in less than 2 days, grew out of control and eventually chucked it after the tank it was in cracked.

One or two strands are fine and maybe a small and I mean small bunch to have floating is okay....anything more is just a nightmare in trimming and vacuuming the gravel.

Funny...I have not had a problem with it. But, then again, mine is under low lighting condtions and perhaps that keeps it's growth and shedding down. SH

It's the worst plant I've ever bought, It just continued to shed branches and cluttered my gravel bed in less than 2 days, grew out of control and eventually chucked it after the tank it was in cracked.

One or two strands are fine and maybe a small and I mean small bunch to have floating is okay....anything more is just a nightmare in trimming and vacuuming the gravel.
That sounds like there is something very wrong. I have hornwort in a high tec tank where it grows like there is no tomorrow - but I also have some in a very low light / no tech tank with guppies (where it grows a lot slower). It never ever sheds or breaks. My guess is that you have something lacking - perhaps try adding some liquid fertiliser.

As soon as I get paid I was planning on getting some, but as a kid money isn't alwasy available and the petstores by me don't usually have that so I'll get some asap. My hornwort is in my baby guppy tank, all that is in it is 15 or so baby guppies(just getting color on their tail) with a whisper internal micro filter, and a 10w compact fluescent bulb making 1wpg. That's all, all levels are good too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back