Will it grow?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rouxster

Reaction score
A friend of mine (who owns a local fish store) threw in a long stem of hornwort when I recently bought some ghost shrimp. I pruned the shoots coming off the main stem and gently stuffed them into holes in my cholla wood. Instead of just letting them float or "planting" them in the substrate, I think this is a more aesthetically pleasing alternative.

Here's my question. The main stem had a 2" or so section where all the leaves had fallen off. Though, the stem itself seems to green & healthy otherwise. Do you think, if I just let it float around, it'll start growing new branches? Of course I'm already doing just that to see what happens. I just thought I'd get everyone's take on it out of curiosity.

Attachments

• hornwort.JPG
    hornwort.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 222
It is certainly worth a shot since it's still green. I use fine fishing line to attach hornwort to a big chunk of cholla that has part of the roots and several branches. I tied it near the ends of the branches to make it look tree-like. It grows like crazy. I have trimmed the hornwort for length and did the same thing with another piece of cholla in a smaller tank. The fish like it too and it grows well even in a low light situation. I will be watching this post to see what others have to say. I use the hornwart and floating plants like water spangles and frogbit and a few marimo moss balls - all are easy care and seem to do well in my situation and the fish like having real plants too. Since I live in NM I have easy access to tons of cholla.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back