Honey Gourami Question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I've had honey gourami for awhile now.  I've settled on only having two at a time.

The pair I had the longest was Bumblebee (male) and Amelia (female).  Well a few weeks back Amelia died.  I went away on holiday after that for a week and then bought Daisy (female).  Now... Bumblebee and Amelia got along soooo well and Bumblebee showed off for her all the time (dark black belly).  Well... now that it is Daisy and Bumblebee... well... it is like they live totally ignoring each other!  Bumblebee doesn't even seem to show off for her... he did initially but then gave up.

Is there an explanation for why they aren't pairing up exactly?  I am 100% sure that Daisy is a female, she is yellow and has the horizontal line.  Could it be she is not quite mature yet?

I guess I should be happy they don't fight... just hoped they'd spend more time together!

I'm sure if your parents told you to live with some random dude for the rest of your life, you and that guy would automatically connect and start a family together!

Some fish click and some fish just would rather be friends. You could try adding another female or two to increase the odds if your tank is big enough.

I do think of my fish as mentally a bit more simple than myself.

My tank is big enough for more.  I have previously (in the beginning) had a trio and that didn't work out at all... my extra female ended up getting harassed to death... they seem to get along better in pairs for me.

You could try exchanging the female for another one, or maybe wait a little bit longer for her to settle in. If you want to wait, try feeding her lots of live worms.

Well there you go! I should always post what seems to be wrong here... my fish like to suddenly prove me wrong!  Today, after a couple weeks of my fish living separate lives.... Bumblebee is sporting a dark black belly and Daisy is following him around!  Yay!  LOL

wahey.gif
  Good for them!

I'd still start feeding her worms to get her belly plump.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back