Hole-In-The-Head On Firemouth Cichlid?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Flinkbag

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

So I woke up this morning feeling refreshed and like all was well with the world. I stepped outside my bedroom and BAM! I instantly noticed than my Firemouth Cichlid seemed to have a white, indented dot on his head. I'm fearing the worst, but I really want someone to prove me wrong... This WAS NOT there yesterday, so Im praying he just impaled himself on something and its not hole in the head disease! D:

Im going to bet it is though. Ive spoken to a few people, and they have recommended vet-grade antibiotics, aquarium salt and Ascorbic acid. Im thinking ill move him to an isolation tank until it starts to fade (not because its contagious, i know it isn't. Its just i don't want to use the treatments on all my other fish too, as i know ascorbic acid can, unsurprisingly, mess with PH). Any other recommendations? Had anyone else ever had this problem before with their cichlids? I change 20-30% of the water weekly (sometimes more than once a week) and my parameters are great, so i don't think this is due to poor water quality, though my tap water seems to turn the water blueish-green (as you can see in the photos), so that can be a potential cause. I also feed my fire mouth a variety of things, including: Bloodworm, beef heart, brine shrimp, broccoli (if he wants to eat it haha), Sera 4 in one tropical granules (has spirulina and vegetables, etc...), Cichlid pellets, and vegetable flakes. If I'm doing something wrong, please tell me. Its sad seeing his with this ugly thing on his head, and i feel completely responsible for it
sad.png

Heres what it looks like (i couldn't get the best shots, he wouldn't stop moving haha). Its the dot above his eye. He still behaves as per normal, and looks just as gorgeous, but I know how deadly HitH can be :( Thanks for the help in advance :D

Attachments

• susan22.jpg
    susan22.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 512
  • susan88.jpg
    susan88.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 428

Most reactions

Back