High ammonia... can't get rid of it .. someone please help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes sorry I didn't explain myself properly it's at 0.50ppm..
And I'm sorry I didn't answer your question I must of missed it...

Erm I'm honestly not sure on this... it would be something I would have to look into

Yes sorry I didn't explain myself properly it's at 0.50ppm..
And I'm sorry I didn't answer your question I must of missed it...

Erm I'm honestly not sure on this... it would be something I would have to look into

The website of your municipal water authority should have info on what they add to the water. Chloramine is ammonia-based, and this can sometimes be the reason.

The fish load needs reducing as several have suggested. What are nitrates now?

can you post a picture of the fish you couldnt identify...I'm sure someone here would know the type

Ryan, which country are you in? I am in the UK and it is impossible to find out from water company websites what they use, chlorine or chloramine. Even emailing them to ask only resulted in a water quality report which is already available on their website.

However, if you are in the UK, there is a way to find out.

Hello.. sorry not come one for a couple of days.. Byron my nitrates are at about 40... that's what I would say... I have tried uploading pictures of my fish and also my test results.. for some reason it says file is to big... so it won't let me... 2 days ago I done a 75% water change.. ammonia dis not budge... anyway I tested it yesterday... ammonia jumped down to 0.25ppm... so this is a good thing... wasn't sure weather this was to do with my water change or if was the tank doing it's self... so I decided not to do a water change to see if the tank was finally getting rid of the ammonia on it's own now.... but it's just been short of 24 hours since I tested it... so soon I'm going to test again....

If the ammonia has gone back up... or even if it's stayed at 0.25ppm would I do a water change at that point? And how much would I do this time...

Just to reply to people asking about chlorine and chloramine... I have a tetra aqua safe that I put in..... I got told it was a good one to use... I have just looked at the back of bottle... it gets rid of chlorine and chloramine straight away soon as you add it to the water....

Hope this helps you all... sorry about pictures I've tried everything they just won't upload

Chloramine is a chlorine and an ammonia joined together. All dechlorinators split them up and remove the chlorine, leaving the ammonia still in the water. A lot of products also contain something to detoxify ammonia - this effect lasts 24 to 36 hours during which time the filter bacteria will remove it.
But this detoxified ammonia still shows up in the ammonia test. The tests can't tell the difference between free ammonia and detoxified ammonia. This is why we needed to know if your water supplier uses chloramine as the ammonia could be from that.

Right I will so some investigating thanks for explaining it to me

I've just checked and from what I can see they only use chlorine..... could be wrong.... but it said they use chlorine..... but there was no mention of putting chloramine in the water

I've just checked and from what I can see they only use chlorine..... could be wrong.... but it said they use chlorine..... but there was no mention of putting chloramine in the water

OK, that is one less issue. Nitrate at 40 ppm is still serious, this is way too high, and undoubtedly due to the fish load. You need to decide which fish get removed, and this overstocking is most likely the problem behind the nitrate and ammonia.

I rang the pet shop I get my fish from... they said they will not take them back due to disease and other stuff... there is one pet shop I know take fish in and give them a home... but it's so far away from me... I have no way of getting there.. no car... no busses.. no trains... I live in the middle of nowhere and the pet shop I can get to have refused to take them back so I honestly don't know what I can do... as I only know one other person with a tank and they won't take them as there tank is slightly over stocked as it is so I'm kind of stuck with the fish for now... and not sure what else I can do now

I had the same problem with high ammonia and my city had changed to chloramine which explained the higher results. Still use Prime but I don’t stress over it now.

Just a quick update people... I done a 50% water change this morning... tested it not long after and I still had 0.25ppm ammonia... just thought I'd test it now... it's at 0ppm... no ammonia what so ever... it's gone... but what I'm not sure on is how do I keep it this way? Has anyone got any suggestions for me... would really appreciate it... don't want ammonia again.. I'm so so happy with my results tonight.. just need to find a way to keep it at 0ppm.... and would like to also say a massive thank you to everyone who gave me advice on here... you have all done me well and your advice has worked for me.. I am so greatfull to you all

I can't find the post now, but I thought that earlier you indicated ammonia in the tap water around 0.25 ppm, is that the case? If yes, then that is where it is coming from immediately after a water change, but if all is well in the tank the bacteria and plants if any will easily deal with this. Using Prime at water changes, only the amount needed for the volume of fresh water, will get over the initial ammonia. There won't be a problem going forward.

Nitrates are still an issue too, and reducing your fish load somehow seems necessary. Essjay posted on this.

Yes in the tap water there is a hint of ammonia but in my tank there is no ammonia at all.... my nitrates are still at 40... in fact maybe a little higher... do you suggest a water change tomorrow to try lower them? Or shall I just leave my tank how it is for now? As there is no ammonia now..... sorry for all my questions I'm just trying to get the hang of it all... and yes trying to find away to reduce my fish... hopefully will find a way....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back