Hiding pearl

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

candrews999

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all help needed please. I have a 180ltr bow fronted tank water parameters great 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 10 nitrate. Well planted including floating plants. Stocked with 8 bronze cory 12 cardinal tetra 12 rummynose tetra 9 amano shrimp and 3 pearl Gourami (2 female and one male). My problem.... the male pearl, I've had for approx 6 weeks along with the females, has suddenly, over the last couple of weeks, started hiding most of the time. He seems to be worse for a couple of days after weekly water change. When he does come out he is coloured up nicely and looks healthy and seems to eat. I'm just worried because this is new behaviour.
Any help and advice greatly received

Carl

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Are there any signs of a bubblenest which the male would build near the surface among floating plants?

Another possible...one of the "females" is actually a male...any signs of either of the females driving this one away?

Thanks for the quick reply [emoji4] no bubble nest and I'm sure the females are females their dorsal fins are much smaller?? The females take full advantage of him not being around cruising the whole tank without being 'bullied' [emoji3] when he does show his face he looks well and he fed this morning but not this evening

Well as we speak he's just come out and has fed....and given the females what for!!
c2f27c25e1c4dd3d44fb517baa2cab9e.jpg
beb58196502265ab38edc76f00776f79.jpg

I would consider the fish in the lower photo to be a male. I cannot see the fish in the upper photo well enough to say. Here's a photo of a pair for reference, as you have the fish in front of you to compare.

Attachments

• Trichogaster-leerii-pair.jpg
    Trichogaster-leerii-pair.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 213
Deffinitely 1 male and 2 female. Gorgeous fish of yours! Hope mine colours up like yours [emoji4]

I would consider the fish in the lower photo to be a male. I cannot see the fish in the upper photo well enough to say. Here's a photo of a pair for reference, as you have the fish in front of you to compare.
Top fish facing the camera is the same fish as in the lower picture

Deffinitely 1 male and 2 female. Gorgeous fish of yours! Hope mine colours up like yours [emoji4]

Those are not my fish, just a good photo showing a pair that I came across online some time back.

Those are not my fish, just a good photo showing a pair that I came across online some time back.
Just realised my mistake as you replied [emoji15]

One of your pictures shows the fish with some grey on his face. Is that always there and can you show another picture of him (side view)? The grey could be a protozoan infection.

--------------------
If the issue is happening straight after water changes then he could be stressed from you doing the water change. Some fish tolerate disturbances better than others. You might have a stressed out fish that doesn't like water changes.

Is the tank in a lounge room or somewhere lots of people move past?
If not, then perhaps try hanging a mobile in the middle of the room and have a small fan with some streamers tied to the front blowing for random times in the room. The streamers and mobile will provide movement in the room and help the fish get use to things moving around them.

You can also have a small television on (no sound required) and the flashing light and movement can help them get use to things moving around them.

--------------------
How often do you do partial water changes and how much water do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do water changes?
Do you move around the tank rapidly or slowly?
Does he panic and dash about when you do water changes?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

When was the last time you cleaned the filter?
Are you wiping the inside of the glass down each week? you should each week to remove biofilm. :)

Most reactions

Back