Hiding Male Gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jason13144

Reaction score
Please help! I have a 62.5ltr tank the tank has been up and running for about 6 weeks we have 2 neon dwarf gourami's 1 male (blue), 1 female, 8 red wag platys, 6 albino tetras, 1 red tale black shark, 6 neon rainbows, 1 bull dog catfish, 1 neon tetra, and recently found 2 baby red platys. I have recently found that my male dwarf gourami is always hiding behind the pump and filter and never seems to come out not even when the food comes out. People have told me that it might be the tetras? They might be bullying the gourami? I have recently eradicated white spot in the tank but im worried about my gourami this is my first tank I have had. If it is the tetras then do I take them back to the shop? The neon rainbow and the cat fish were only introduced on Sunday but I've noticed that my gouramis behaviour changed when I introduced my shark. Before introducing the fish on sunday I noticed that my one neon tetra had had his tail fin taken off I have heard from so many people can you help and tell me what is happening I have only got my fish from a very recommended and reputable aquarium shop. Thank you. :shout:

You say the tank has been set up for six weeks. Did you cycle it before adding fish?

Can you tell us what the ammonia and nitrIte levels are in the tank? If you don't have your own test kit, get it tested at the shop and get them to write down the actual numbers - some shops are prone to using words like 'fine' when there are raised levels. Any level of either ammonia or nitrite above zero is not fine despite what the shop may say. The fact that you have had white spot would suggest your levels are not perfect. Raised ammonia and/or nitrite cause the fish to be stressed and that makes them more prone to infection.

You're overstocked for a new tank of that size, and dwarf gouramis are not the hardiest of fish. They are very inbred and prone to disease. Also, I read somewhere that red tailed black sharks would harrass dwarf gouramis - you say the trouble started when you added the shark? They may not be compatible tank mates.

I found that my neon gouramis did that. In my experience they are quite shy and nervous fish. I currently have 2 gouramis in my tank 1 that is adventurous and is always out in the open swiming an enjoying himself and one that is always in the plants at the back of the tanks. I have had him for about 2 months now and he is not sick or ill in anyway. He does pop out occassionally but they can be very shy like most fish.

Hope this helps

:good:

I found that my neon gouramis did that. In my experience they are quite shy and nervous fish. I currently have 2 gouramis in my tank 1 that is adventurous and is always out in the open swiming an enjoying himself and one that is always in the plants at the back of the tanks. I have had him for about 2 months now and he is not sick or ill in anyway. He does pop out occassionally but they can be very shy like most fish.

Hope this helps

:good:
Likewise with mine. got 1 very adventurous one right from when adding them to the tank and 1 very shy one that pops out at night for 10 mins or so when the rest of the fish are resting. Havnt ever seen the shy one eat yet.

Hi... I would say that your tank is very over crowded!!! I'd say if you want t
Sorry posted by accident.. if you would want to keep all those fish you'll have t
To get a much bigger tank.. about 30 gallons ++ ... this would make much better water quality and your fish would be much more active

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back