Hiding Fish - Clueless What To Do

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ztrel0cK

Reaction score
Hi All.
My first post here and I'm quite new to the aquarium world myself.

I've got a Juwel Diamond 60 (60 lit) Aquarium with the following configuration:
1. Juwel heater. Water constantly at 25.7-25.9 C
2. JBL CristalProfi 401 external filter
3. Simple airpump with a small air stone
4, The Juwel's stock halogen light + 1 extra LED light tube

NO3 and NO2 are at 0, PH at 7.5 (home kit tests)

Now I have 4 red swordtail fish (1 male, 3 female; male seems to be rather adult, female - junior), 1 white male molly and 1 (i think male) black molly that is the only survivor of the fry (and the black molly dynasty in the tank)... The tank has 3 life plants and 2 rocky places to hide in.
Now to the problem:
The white molly has been acting strange for last 2-3 months - usually sitting in a corner without much activity. During the last month he just hides inside the cave, gets out to eat and back to his spot.
The black one used to be quite active but for the last 3 weeks or so is constantly hiding as well (prefers to hide under the leaves). He is eating well etc, but I notice his gills move rather quickly sometimes.
The swordfish behave normal most of the time but after the evening food they sort of disappear and the aquarium seems empty...
I feed them all jbl flakes and ones a week dry shrimp.

From what I understand this behaviour is completely unusual for the fish but I have no idea how to fix it...
Thanks a lot!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I can't help you as I don't have experience. Most likely people will ask for your GH and KH as these parameters are crucial for fish health, if you supply those and maybe pictures of the fish that will probably help you get an answer faster.

Jordan

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFF, and the hobby. :hi:

I am sorry I have to be negative on your first post here, but you do have some issues. This is a fairly small tank at 60 liters (15 gallons). Swordtails are not small fish, attaining (if healthy) 4 to 5 inches (10-13 cm), some report six inches. Stores usually sell them at 2-3 inches so they have some growing to do from that size. They need at least a 30-inch (75 cm) long tank, but preferably longer. Mollies also get larger, males to 3 inches and females to five and maybe even six inches. They too need larger quarters. And having these together means even larger space so they can "spread out." This is likely one problem you have now with the behaviour described.

Second issue is the hardness of the water. GH (general or total hardness) is very important with livebearers, as they must have dissolved mineral in the water, and this is indicated by the GH. Check the website of your municipal water authority if you are on city water, you should find the GH there, or you can call them. If the water is on the soft side, the fish will slowly weaken and die over a period of a few months, maybe sooner. The pH at 7.5, provided it remains there or higher, is fine and might suggest moderately hard water, but we need the GH to confirm or not, and it is critical for these fish.

Temperature is fine. Now, what about regular partial water changes...how often and how much of the tank volume each time? This is always the most important aspect of an aquarium, but becomes even more crucial when there are too many and/or too large a species of fish, as here.

Byron.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back