Hi

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

picothepleco

Reaction score
The rainy but beautiful Pacific Northwest
Hi all, I'm not necessarily a beginner. I have a 46 gal. Bowfront that has been up and running for about six  years, but for those six years it has been at my mother's house because I didn't have the time for it then. About a month ago, I finally moved it to my house, which is about two hours away, the move went well and I didn't lose any fish. In fact my paramiters were pretty awesome except I did have really high nitrates about 40 ppm. Apparently I had to re-cycle my tank, despite the fact that I saved as much of the water as possible and kept the substrate in the same water. I was doing water changes at about 20% in hopes that would lower my nitrates but my PH and nitrates kept climbing. Finally, after doing a 50% this last week everthing is back to where it should be. I only lost one fish, an albino cory, which I had bought for my daughter. I also lost my snail. Currently my tank is planted with lots of java fern, one marimo ball, some other kinds of plants that I can't seem to remember the name of (I bought them to help with my nitrates), and a banana plant. I also have several pieces of bogwood. My tank has four platys (one is a small fry about a half inch long), a rainbow shark that is about three or four inches long, a snowball pleco, one albino cory, a spotted Ctenopoma (I don't mind if it eats the platy fry) and another snail.

Welcome to the forum!

40ppm of nitrate isn't too bad.

Congrats on the safe moving of your tank that distance! It's so daunting! I remember moving mine 4 hrs away with them all in a bag in polystyrene with a battery air pump stressful.

Look forward to seeing pics of your set up :D

Hi shelster, I know that the best paramiters for nitrates and nitrates are 0ppm. I'm back down to ten but that is good to know that 40 isn't that bad. It's been a while since I have kept a tank so I have been trying to get cuaght back up on all the fish stuff that I had forgotten over the years. I can't wait to post pictures soon.

What Shelster was getting at is that you would expect to find some nitrate in a healthy tank, I have 40ppm nitrate in my tapwater. 0ppm nitrate isn't actually the ideal, unless you have a very heavily planted tank, and it often indicates that your nitrite isn't being processed.

Hi, 
welcomeani.gif
  to the forum.
Sounds a nice tank. 
5ppm is normally the lowest Nitrate you can get with out doing a 100% water change. Once the nitrates start getting over 100ppm thats when you need to start to worry so try to keep it below 100ppm.
:)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back