Hi this is my first question on this forum.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fairlynewtothis

Reaction score
Hi I have now got my 'new' second hand tank filled up with water!
its 125 litres!
So starting the cycle to have my fishes in it.. They won't know themselves!!
At present i have
4 Harelquins
4 guppys pretty ones males..
some shrimps

Only been in a small tank !

What substrate is ideal for the fishes plus shrimps plus plants please?
I know i have to take it slowly to introduce new fishes etc..
But any ideas or help is glady received!

Trying to do things on a budget but look after the fishes also..
my tank had been only cold water fish so it looks very clean and i have cleaned it with water plus J cloths
It doesnt smell of anything..
I am getting new inners for the filter as that did pong so much!
as hadnt been used for ages.. !
can put some of my water into the tank to help it cycle any more ideas put in some Aqau safe also..

But it can just sit there for a week if it needs to?
I welcome your expertise..Many thanks.

hi and welcome to the forum :)

I will leave others to help because that pink writing hurts my eyes :)

Hi! Welcome!

The fish and shrimp you mentioned aren't picky about the substrate as far as I know. Had you mentioned Corydoras or Loahes or a Peacock Eel, I would be suggesting sand. Although, for a planted tank, I do personally prefer sand, anyway. It's a headache to clean sand, but I personally like the look of it the best, and for plants, I feel like sand does the best job of keeping the plants rooted.

The pet stores sell this substrate that is specifically made for planted tanks. I forget what it's called, but I just set up a new tank and I'm trying it in there. In a few weeks I'll have an opinion on it. So far, though, I don't like that it's more of a gravel than a sand.

If you're trying to get that tank to cycle quickly and on a budget, you could try squeezing the gunk from an established tank's filter on to the new tank's filter. It will give the good bacteria a boost right off the bat. When I say an established tank's filter, I don't mean the old filter that used to run in this tank a long time ago, I mean an established tank that is still running. This doesn't eliminate the need to cycle your tank, but it could help the tank cycle faster. Granted, you should still be checking your water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Do you have a test kit for that?

Cycling the tank will probably take longer than a week. I would wait at least 4-6 weeks before introducing fish to the tank, but water testing is the only thing that can tell you for sure when the tank is ready. Just because the water is clear doesn't mean it is cycled. In a tank that has finished cycling, Ammonia and Nitrites should read 0, Nitrates should be below 20. PH and Hardness are not part of cycling, but those can be controlled.

Some people like to cycle tanks with fish in them. A lot of people on this site will tell you not to do that, as it could be harmful to the fish. And they're right, ammonia can spike at any time in a tank that is still cycling. So if you do plan on doing a fish-in cycle, make sure you are testing your water every day, and doing 30%-50% water changes every 2-3 days. I know it stinks to look at an aquarium with no fish in it, but if you can hold off for the duration of the cycle, it really is best for the fish. If you just can't, and you have to have SOMETHING in the tank, do those water changes every other day, or you will kill some fish. Also, if you do a fish-in cycle, make sure you keep the number of fish to a bare minimum. Do NOT fully stock your tank until it's cycled. I would not put shrimp in the tank until it finishes cycled. They like well established tanks that have been running for months. I know, it sounds like a lot of work to do a fish-in cycle... it is. And it's very dangerous to the fish and it's possible that you could do everything right and still lose fish during the cycle. This is why it's generally advised against.

Also, some food for thought, I had to convert liters to gallons because I'm a dumb American, but my community/sorority tank is roughly the same size as your tank. I kept losing shrimp in that tank, until I added an air stone. Adding that air stone helped oxygenate the water and I haven't lost a shrimp since. You mentioned you will be putting shrimp in this tank, so I strongly suggest you get an air stone set up in the tank if you don't have one already.

Best of luck to you! And welcome, again!

For sand your best bet is kids play sand. Its really cheap. In the UK most use the sand from Argos. It has no nutrients for plants, but also no nasty surprises for fish or shrimp (or water quality). You can use fertiliser tablets if your plants aren't coping or a liquid fertiliser.

Choose plants that are described as "easy care". Start off by keeping your lights on for 8 hours a day. Adjusting it to the right amound may require a bit of trial and error.

Hi! Welcome!

The fish and shrimp you mentioned aren't picky about the substrate as far as I know. Had you mentioned Corydoras or Loahes or a Peacock Eel, I would be suggesting sand. Although, for a planted tank, I do personally prefer sand, anyway. It's a headache to clean sand, but I personally like the look of it the best, and for plants, I feel like sand does the best job of keeping the plants rooted.

The pet stores sell this substrate that is specifically made for planted tanks. I forget what it's called, but I just set up a new tank and I'm trying it in there. In a few weeks I'll have an opinion on it. So far, though, I don't like that it's more of a gravel than a sand.

If you're trying to get that tank to cycle quickly and on a budget, you could try squeezing the gunk from an established tank's filter on to the new tank's filter. It will give the good bacteria a boost right off the bat. When I say an established tank's filter, I don't mean the old filter that used to run in this tank a long time ago, I mean an established tank that is still running. This doesn't eliminate the need to cycle your tank, but it could help the tank cycle faster. Granted, you should still be checking your water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Do you have a test kit for that?

Cycling the tank will probably take longer than a week. I would wait at least 4-6 weeks before introducing fish to the tank, but water testing is the only thing that can tell you for sure when the tank is ready. Just because the water is clear doesn't mean it is cycled. In a tank that has finished cycling, Ammonia and Nitrites should read 0, Nitrates should be below 20. PH and Hardness are not part of cycling, but those can be controlled.

Some people like to cycle tanks with fish in them. A lot of people on this site will tell you not to do that, as it could be harmful to the fish. And they're right, ammonia can spike at any time in a tank that is still cycling. So if you do plan on doing a fish-in cycle, make sure you are testing your water every day, and doing 30%-50% water changes every 2-3 days. I know it stinks to look at an aquarium with no fish in it, but if you can hold off for the duration of the cycle, it really is best for the fish. If you just can't, and you have to have SOMETHING in the tank, do those water changes every other day, or you will kill some fish. Also, if you do a fish-in cycle, make sure you keep the number of fish to a bare minimum. Do NOT fully stock your tank until it's cycled. I would not put shrimp in the tank until it finishes cycled. They like well established tanks that have been running for months. I know, it sounds like a lot of work to do a fish-in cycle... it is. And it's very dangerous to the fish and it's possible that you could do everything right and still lose fish during the cycle. This is why it's generally advised against.

Also, some food for thought, I had to convert liters to gallons because I'm a dumb American, but my community/sorority tank is roughly the same size as your tank. I kept losing shrimp in that tank, until I added an air stone. Adding that air stone helped oxygenate the water and I haven't lost a shrimp since. You mentioned you will be putting shrimp in this tank, so I strongly suggest you get an air stone set up in the tank if you don't have one already.

Best of luck to you! And welcome, again!

Hi, Thank you so much for that lengthy reply, Simply fabulous!!

I will try to take on board what you have a said..so kind of you..
Have forgotten the questions you asked me! But i will read it again in fact i will try to print it off as so many useful ideas..
I will try to not put any fish into the tank. Yet!!
They are living in small one at present but ok.
I keep them cleaned out etc.. funnily enough my shrimps havent yet died as did put them into the tank, only had it running for a week or so..And touch wood they have survived!
So must be doing something right?
Thats now about 2 months..!!

I quite love the shrimps they are fun creatures so busy, then hiding etc.. cute!

MUST GET A LIFE!

Yes i do have water testing kit but going to buy the liquid version as its more accurate so i have been told but its more expensive. Thank you so much .. Have you loads of fishes plus tanks?
Watch 'Tanked' on TV sometimes. I was in awe of some of the ideas..
Just hope they think of the fishes ?

For sand your best bet is kids play sand. Its really cheap. In the UK most use the sand from Argos. It has no nutrients for plants, but also no nasty surprises for fish or shrimp (or water quality). You can use fertiliser tablets if your plants aren't coping or a liquid fertiliser.

Choose plants that are described as "easy care". Start off by keeping your lights on for 8 hours a day. Adjusting it to the right amound may require a bit of trial and error.

Hi Thank you so much..
So I should buy sand from Argos ? Thank you for the tip..
I guess I should wash it firstly?

Have bought this before but for my grandsons..!

Thanks for tips.:)

Hi Thank you so much..
So I should buy sand from Argos ? Thank you for the tip..
I guess I should wash it firstly?

Have bought this before but for my grandsons..!

Thanks for tips.:)
Yes the Argos sand does need quite a bit of washing. I put some in a bucket (about a 1/4 full) and then slowly run tap water into it for a few hours - you can use a hosepipe or do it in the sink. Stir it all up fairly regularly and allow whatever floats to the top to run out of the bucket. once the water is clear a few minutes after a vigorous stir its good to go.

Hi, Thank you so much for that lengthy reply, Simply fabulous!!

I will try to take on board what you have a said..so kind of you..
Have forgotten the questions you asked me! But i will read it again in fact i will try to print it off as so many useful ideas..
I will try to not put any fish into the tank. Yet!!
They are living in small one at present but ok.
I keep them cleaned out etc.. funnily enough my shrimps havent yet died as did put them into the tank, only had it running for a week or so..And touch wood they have survived!
So must be doing something right?
Thats now about 2 months..!!

I quite love the shrimps they are fun creatures so busy, then hiding etc.. cute!

MUST GET A LIFE!

Yes i do have water testing kit but going to buy the liquid version as its more accurate so i have been told but its more expensive. Thank you so much .. Have you loads of fishes plus tanks?
Watch 'Tanked' on TV sometimes. I was in awe of some of the ideas..
Just hope they think of the fishes ?

What kind of shrimp are they? I'm only experienced with Ghost Shrimp so far, but would love to have some cherry shrimp some day. The first 48 hours after taking them home is when they're most likely to die, because in pet stores, shrimp are often kept as "feeders", depending on the type of shrimp, and aren't very well taken care of. If you've had your shrimp for 2 months now, then yes, you certainly are doing something right! Your shrimp are more likely to die of old age at this point. Shrimp really are neat little creatures, though. I just watched one of mine molt yesterday. It was so weird and interesting and gross and cool at the same time.

Do I have loads of fish and tanks? I wouldn't say "loads" but I'm probably a fish addict. I have a 30 gallon community/sorority tank with 5 female bettas, 6 kuhli loaches, 5 ablino corys, 12 neon tetras, and a few ghost shrimp in it, and then I have 3 smaller tanks of 10 gallons or less, each with a single Betta in it, and some shrimp one of those too. I'm with you... I need to get a life haha. I definitely spend way too much time with my fish, or reading about fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back