Hi there

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Chrishuk89

Reaction score
Quick hi to everyone on the forum. Have been keeping tropical fish for 2 years in a mid-size aquarium approx 4*2*2 ft, also keep a small fry tank running 30*18*25 cm. I inherited my large aquarium with it's original decor, gravel and filter and have changed it over time with water clarity/flow becoming somewhat of an obsession. Have been moving towards a full renovation of the of this tank- re-silicon, new filter, sand, decor etc. So far I have kept a community tank of Gourami, Molly, Kribeneis, Bronze Cory, Pleco, Sharks, Clown Loach and an Assassin Snail which has worked well for the most part. Any questions or advice is always appreciated, I love learning about this hobby. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    794.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20180912_182353.jpg
    IMG_20180912_182353.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 182
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Gouramis love floating plants and the best plant for this is Water Sprit (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta). It can be grown on the surface and also planted in the gravel. But for gouramis, have a few plants on the surface.

If you put a picture or backing on the back of the tank, it will hide the heater cords and make the fish feel more secure. you can buy plastic aquarium backings from nay pet shop or use a piece of coloured card or even a black plastic rubbish bin liner. Just sticky tape them to the back of the tank (on the outside).

Why do you want to replace the silicon on the tank?

Quick hi to everyone on the forum. Have been keeping tropical fish for 2 years in a mid-size aquarium approx 4*2*2 ft, also keep a small fry tank running 30*18*25 cm. I inherited my large aquarium with it's original decor, gravel and filter and have changed it over time with water clarity/flow becoming somewhat of an obsession. Have been moving towards a full renovation of the of this tank- re-silicon, new filter, sand, decor etc. So far I have kept a community tank of Gourami, Molly, Kribeneis, Bronze Cory, Pleco, Sharks, Clown Loach and an Assassin Snail which has worked well for the most part. Any questions or advice is always appreciated, I love learning about this hobby. Thanks.
Wow, nice looking tank.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Gouramis love floating plants and the best plant for this is Water Sprit (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta). It can be grown on the surface and also planted in the gravel. But for gouramis, have a few plants on the surface.

If you put a picture or backing on the back of the tank, it will hide the heater cords and make the fish feel more secure. you can buy plastic aquarium backings from nay pet shop or use a piece of coloured card or even a black plastic rubbish bin liner. Just sticky tape them to the back of the tank (on the outside).

Why do you want to replace the silicon on the tank?

Thanks Ill look that up it'll be nice if they can build a bubble nest for themselves. I need to work out where to put them so theyre sheltered from the surface flow. Ah, the tank is inherited and is probably 20 or so years old, the original silicone has degraded or been nibbled by fish and I think it has mould growing underneath or algae? Not sure. I have HA6 marine silicon with no fungicide etc. for the job but I'd like to wait till the tank is empty rather than move all the fish for a week.

Floating plants can be kept in a circle of plastic tubing that floats on the surface and tied to some string that is attached to some suction cups.

You make a loop/ circle out of plastic airline or some other plastic hose and join the ends so water can't get into the tube/ hose. That floats on the surface and the plants go inside it.

Then use some fishing line or something and tie the plastic hose to a suction cup stuck to the glass a few inches below the surface. The string allows the plastic tube to go up and down when you do water changes, but limits where the hose can go when the tank is full.

----------------------
Check the silicon you have. It needs to be useable on glass. You just want a glass silicon for aquariums that has no mould inhibitors or anything weird in. You can use a single sided razorblade to trim out the old silicon then apply new silicon. Make sure you do this in a well ventilated area and don't stick your head in the tank while doing this because you can pass out from the fumes.

If the silicon has gone white or has bubbles in, it will need cutting out and replacing.

Floating plants can be kept in a circle of plastic tubing that floats on the surface and tied to some string that is attached to some suction cups.

You make a loop/ circle out of plastic airline or some other plastic hose and join the ends so water can't get into the tube/ hose. That floats on the surface and the plants go inside it.

Then use some fishing line or something and tie the plastic hose to a suction cup stuck to the glass a few inches below the surface. The string allows the plastic tube to go up and down when you do water changes, but limits where the hose can go when the tank is full.

----------------------
Check the silicon you have. It needs to be useable on glass. You just want a glass silicon for aquariums that has no mould inhibitors or anything weird in. You can use a single sided razorblade to trim out the old silicon then apply new silicon. Make sure you do this in a well ventilated area and don't stick your head in the tank while doing this because you can pass out from the fumes.

If the silicon has gone white or has bubbles in, it will need cutting out and replacing.

Actually that's a really elegant solution. I was going to turn a net hatchery upside-down. Yeah the silicon I have is suitable for glass aquarium construction, Bond It HA6, I found it on ebay but it's not so easy to get the right stuff as I discovered. Thanks I'll take care, silicon smells pretty pungent so I think I'l do it outside. Also found out ethanol is handy for removing the scraped bits of old silicon that are stuck to the glass afterwards.

Thank you very much, I am very happy with how it looks in the first photo but I think it's going to look even better soon. Will post pictures as I go along.

Sounds great. Already looks good!

My Tank.. soon to be a hospital/breeder tank
65L adding more of everything once I get a bigger tank 3 Cherry Barbs,bigger tank. 3 black widow Tetras, 4 Purple Hareliquin Rasboras and 2 Corydoras.
Anyone got stocking ideas for a 130 or 182L
Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back