Hi. I'm relatively new to tropical fish keeping.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

WembLee1992

Reaction score
Hi I'm Lee.

Relatively new to tropical and cold water fish keeping. Started around 3 months ago and currently have 2 tanks running.

In my 80 litre tropical tank I currently have.
- 1 Bosemani Rainbow Fish
- 1 Pearl Gourami
- 1 Red Honey Dwarf Gourami
- 1 Red Dwarf Gourami
- 2 male and 1 female Rocket Panchax
- 1 Powder Blue Gourami
- 1 Male Peacock Gudgeon
- 3 Zebra Snails
- 1 at this point unknown baby snail. (That came attached to one of my plants.

A smaller tank I think around 50 litres I have.
- 1 Yoyo Loach
- 2 Odessa Barbs
- 1 Hillstream Loach
- 3 Lampeye Killifish
- 1 Halloween Mollie

Both tanks are doing extremely well at the moment.
I'm really proud of them.
I check the water once a week and do 25% water changes once a week.

IMG_20170722_223415_889.jpg
20170726_210901.jpg
20170705_233837.jpg

I've tried to include a few photos. Do you think the fish look happy/healthy?
I'll try get some photos of the others at some point.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lee.

Hi there, welcome to the forum :good:

Now, I could be talking out of my left elbow (it wouldn't be the first time!!) but I wonder if you have too many fish in your tanks?? I also think that you may have incorrect numbers for at least some of them - the Yoyo loach for sure needs to be in a group of at least 6.

I think it may pay to do some research on the fish that you have chosen to make sure that they are right for the tank and the other inhabitants. Seriouslyfish.com is a great place to start. Also mooch around here - there is lots of information.

One last thought - did you cycle your tanks before you put the fish in??

I'm sure one of the more knnowledgeable people will be along fairly soon and they will probably know instantly if you have too many in total, too few of each group, incompatability issues etc.

Sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news :/

Wow you are way overstocked in both tanks, and you have stocking issues.

- 1 Yoyo Loach

In a 50 liter tank? YoYos need to be kept in groups of at least 6 and require a well filtered well oxygenated tank that's at least 4 foot long.
In my 80 litre tropical tank I currently have.

- 1 Pearl Gourami
- 1 Red Honey Dwarf Gourami
- 1 Red Dwarf Gourami
- 1Hillstream Loach

All these Gourami in a 80 liter tank? Gourami need warm water while Hill stream loaches do not, Gourami and Hillstream loaches cant be tank-mates

1 Hillstream Loach
These require special care they need fast flowing well oxygenated water, They also prefer cooler water.

What type of water do you have soft or hard?

Ok thanks for all the advice there. I realise from reading this that I need to get hold of a bigger tank ASAP.

As I say that all the fish are doing brilliantly and haven't had any deaths in 3 months.

My hillstream loach isn't in the tropical tank with my gouramis. He is in my coldwater 50 litre tank.

I only have a rainbow bosemani and a peacock gudgeon with my ģouramis in my tropical tank.

From doing research I have soft water. I have been working on the water quality the last few weeks. And all seems to be going well.

Thanks for the advice.
What litre tanks do you think would suit each set of fish?

Most reactions

Back