Hi, i'm new.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bubblewrap

Reaction score
Hello, i'm new to TFF and i've just started looking after tropical fish (so i'm a beginner). Could anyone suggest the easiest type of tropical fish to keep?

Hello, i'm new to TFF and i've just started looking after tropical fish (so i'm a beginner). Could anyone suggest the easiest type of tropical fish to keep?

The answer to that depends on your water parameters and tank size.

There's lots of 'easy' fish, if you provide the right environment for them. In the wrong environment, all fish will struggle.

Also what are your goals for the tank? 'natural', low maintenance, breeding, pretty, eye catching, etc.?

hello, thanks for helping me - i have a 180L (abt 40 gallons) tank. i aim to make my tank look pretty and eye-catching as it is quite a feature in my bedroom. does that help?

It helps a bit, but the options are still quite varied based on water parameters.

Check with your local water company. Or get a sample and take it to your LFS... they can test it for you. You need to know the pH, gH, and kH. Knowing the nitrates coming from tap is also helpful.

ok, i'll see what info i can get. also, is it best to get fake or real plants, or does that depend on the water too (sorry, i don't have much of a clue, that's why i came here to help me find out =D)?

Real plants often offer far more benefit than fake. There are cases where fake would be better... and some set-ups where plants wouldn't be appropriate.

From this question, it seems you like the planted look. Is that correct?

Myself I have a 560 litre with mostly fake plants, but also a few real ones in there too, same with my wife's 150 litre mostly fake but one real one

If you are going to go with fake plants there are some good realistic ones out there now, go for natural colours not vivid purples or orange or something, natural is better

Here is a pic of my 560 litre

Attachments

• IMG_20170606_091102170.jpg
    IMG_20170606_091102170.jpg
    771.3 KB · Views: 91

Most reactions

Back