Hi I'm new :) and looking for advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishRunner

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, my names Chris and i'm from the north east of England (U.K) This is my first attempt at owning an aquarium,I have spent hours researching about ph,gh,kh etc and which fish are best suited to a community tank. But i think i've overloaded myself with info lol :)
A few days ago i purchased a Juwel Rekord 96, filled it with water added stones,bio filter,heater (temp reading 25 degree's c) and a air pump.
At the moment i have no fish, the tank has been running about 3 days now.
My thought was to buy the live plants, Rocks etc first and then leave for about a week before putting my first two fish in two start the cycle. I have took no readings yet but will do before i put in the first two hardy fish, is this the right way to do things or could anyone offer any other advice i could find helpfull, i understand it will take about 6-8 weeks to compleate the cycle. The fish i was thinking of putting in eventually are - 4 wagtail platy, 4 tiger barbs, 2 bronze corydoras, 2 dwarf gourami, 4 angel fish, 1 plecostomus and 1 betta, is this to many? and am i right in thinking just to add 2 fish every day or so?
sorry about the long winded post, many thanks in advance for reading this.

All the best
Chris

Welcome Fishrunner. :)

I wouldn't bother testing for ammonia yet. You won't have any because first you have to have a source of ammonia. ie. food fish waste.

I'm not sure about the platy and betta (others here can comment on those) but I wouldn't add tiger barbs with angel fish and bettas. or mollies?

If you get 7-8 tiger barbs they usually leave everyone else alone but being this is a forum I have to reply with generalizations, so it could work, but I've also seen it not work many times.

Is a Juwel Rekord 96 mean it's 96 gallons or liters?

Please click on my links in my sig and read up on fishless cycling. It's up to you if you want to go that route or not but thought I'd give you the option. :)

I'll move this to Beginners Question's so others will see it and you can get the most help. :)

Hi!

If you're new to fishkeeping please follow the link in my sig and read up about cycling a tank. Any questions, please post them to the group.

when the time comes...the betta /angel/ gourami combo more than likely won't work, pick one of those 3 and go from there ...only one male betta ,or you could get females (females are so cute), two gouramis would be great (without the betta) angels won't get along with bettas as far as I know, and they have special requirements I believe

have fun choosing your new stock :D

woah dude...angels bettas....tiger barbs I wouldn't recomend it at all. Soon you'll find no fins. So reconsider the fish choices. Note follow aliens sig (or mine ;) )

Hi Chris :) It sounds like you're facing the same problem even the most experienced fish keepers face - you want more fish than you have room for. Please do read about properly cycling a tank before adding your fish. Like smb, I'm wondering if your tank is 96 litres or 96 gallons, but I have a feeling it's litres. If this is the case, I wouldn't put angelfish in it. I have two angelfish in a 33 gallon tank, and even if they were the only fish in there, it still wouldn't be adequate space for them. Also, like everyone else has said, if you put tiger barbs in your tank, avoid any fish with long, flowing finnage.

This may be too long to post. If it is go to Compatible fish.
Compatible
Groups of Tropical Fish Species
This page contains a list of some Groups of Compatible Tropical Fish species with a few comments about each group and some guidelines to help you choose one of these groups. The appropriate home is given for each of these recommended groups of fish species.

Group #1. Neon Tetras, Glowlight Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, White Clouds, Fancy Guppies, Corydoras Catfish, Glass Fish, Honey Gouramis, and Ghost Shrimp. These fish are compatible and a few of them will do well in a 15-gallon aquarium with warm water.

Group #2. Danios, Swordtails, Mollies, and Platies, plus Bigger Tetras such as Black Skirt Tetras, Painted Tetras, Serpae Tetras, Red Eye Tetras, Black Neon Tetras, and Silver Tip Tetras. A few of these fish will do well in a 15-gallon aquarium with warm water.

Group #3. Barbs, Gouramis, Sharks, Eels, and Loaches. Tiger Barbs and Tinfoil Barbs, plus Blue, Gold, and Opaline Gouramis, plus Bala Sharks, Red Tail Sharks, Rainbow Sharks, and White Tip Sharks. These fish are mildly aggressive and compatible with each other. They will grow fast and need at least a 29-gallon aquarium with warm water. Eventually they will need a much bigger aquarium.

Group #4. New World Cichlids. Firemouth, Convict, Pink Convict, Texas Cichlid, Jack Dempsey and other New World Cichlids are very aggressive fish. But many aquarists enjoy watching them dig, defend their territories, and care for baby fish. Large Plecostomus Catfish, Synodontis Catfish, and White Tip Sharks are usually compatible with New World Cichlids. Within a year or so a group of these fish will need an aquarium with at least 50-gallons of warm water. Eventually these fish will need an even bigger aquarium. Before you get these fish, be sure that you are committed to giving them the size aquarium that they will need.

Group #5. Oscars and Large Fish. Red Oscars, Black Oscars, Tiger Oscars, and Pink Oscars will grow fast to very large sizes. Oscars are compatible with Bigger Pacus, White Tip Sharks and Medium and Large Plecostomus.
These fish will grow fast and soon need a 50-gallon aquarium with warm water. Eventually these fish will need an even bigger aquarium. Before you get these fish, be sure that you are committed to giving them the size aquarium that they will need.

Group #6. Mbuna Cichlids. Auratus, Kenyi, Red Zebra, Pindani, Johanni, etc. Mbunas are from Lake Malawi in East Africa where they live among the piles of large rocks along the shore. Mbunas are very aggressive and need to be kept in a group with at least 12 other Mbunas. If kept in a smaller group, the strongest fish will make life miserable for the weaker fish. A group of 12 adult Mbunas will need a warm water aquarium with at least 50 gallons. Synodontis Catfish are compatible with Mbuna Cichlids. Eventually a group of Mbunas will need an aquarium with at least 80 gallons of water.

Group #7. Peacocks and Haps. Malawi Peacocks, Electric Blue Haps, Yellow Peacocks, Jacobfreibergi and other fish that live away from the piles of rocks and the Mbuna Cichlids in Lake Malawi. Keep a group of at least 12 of fish so the strongest fish not make the weakest fish miserable. These fish will grow fast and need a warm water aquarium with at least 50 gallons. Eventually they will need an aquarium with at least 80 gallons of water.
Synodontis catfish are usually compatible with Peacocks and Haps., but the Mbuna Cichlids, listed above, are not.

Group #8. Angels. Freshwater Angels, plus Dwarf Gouramis and Neon Blue Gouramis, plus Neon Blue Rainbows make a nice compatible group of fish. These fish require a warm water aquarium. Eventually they'll need an aquarium with at least 29 gallons of water, and an aquarium at least 18 inches tall is recommended for Angels.
A Plecostomus Catfish is also compatible with these fish.

Group #9. Critters. Tadpoles, Fiddler Crabs, Mystery Snails, Crayfish and Ghost Shrimp. These animals do well in either a cool water aquarium or a warm water aquarium. These critters are compatible with many smaller less aggressive fish, except the Crayfish that are larger, more aggressive, and may bother small fish, but Crayfish are usually compatible with aggressive fish. Puffer Fish love to eat Crabs, Shrimps, and Crayfish, so they are not compatible with these Critters.

Group #10. Fantails, Telescopes, and Oranda Goldfish. Fantails, Black Moors, Red and Calico Telescopes, Red Orandas, Red and White Orandas, Calico Orandas, and Red Cap Orandas need a cool water aquarium or a pond.
You could keep a few of these goldfish an aquarium, but given good care and feeding, they'll grow fast and soon need a large aquarium. The Koi and Pond Comets listed in the next group below are too aggressive for the Fancy Goldfish fish in this group.

Group #11. Pond Comets and Koi. Fancy Koi, Red Pond Comets, White Pond Comets, Red and White Pond Comets, and Shubunkins are pond fish. They are not compatible with the Fancy goldfish listed in the group just above.

The Groups of fish listed above are just some suggestions from the many good combinations of fish that you could keep.
What Won't Work. For many years many aquarists have been advised to pick compatible tropical fish fish from certain groups. These groups had names like community fish, aggressive fish, semi-aggressive fish, etc. There were some very elaborate systems, but these methods all repeatedly caused problems for aquarists trying to pick compatible fish.
What Will Work. Sometimes you've decided on a fish you'd like to keep, or you already have a couple of compatible fish, and you'd like to get another type of fish. The best method is to find the fish that you already have on that list and usually you'll find five or six types of fish listed that will be compatible with the fish that you already have.

A Juwel Rekord 96 is 96 litres, which is about 24 US gallons. However, if it has the built-in Juwel filter, that requires that the water level is a little lower so the actual water capacity is probably closer to 20 gallons.

That's still a nice size for a first tank but not really suitable for angelfish. However, pearl gouramis are a large "feature" fish that could take their place, and then you wouldn't have to worry about neons being eaten etc. Pearls would be fine in a tank that size, plus a couple of schools of small tetras or rasboras and a dwarf plec of some kind and maybe some corys, otos or dwarf loaches.

IMHO, keep it simple for an effective and beautiful small tank - on this website we've seem some fantastic examples of smaller tanks. You don't need lots of different species of elaborate, exotic fish, all crowded in like Picadilly Circus in rush hour.

If I can get a digital camera I'd post a photo of my tank that is on similar lines to this. Once my Amazon swords recover from the light blow-out it should be back to its former glory - people are always admiring it :*)

Firstly thank you all for your replys, and it has given me a better feeling for the correct fish to put in the same aquarium and how many :) just finished putting live plants and various pieces in today, i will post some pics later. Again thanks to everyone that has replied and all the help is much appreciated.

All the best
Chris

P.S my tank is 96 litre's (UK) and has the built in filter

Most reactions

trending

Back