Hi, i need some help with guppies in a outdoor pond for winter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Deonbell2009

Reaction score
So i live in Southern Alberta, langdon, and i was thinking of keeping some guppies in some buckets and letting them breed as food for my snake, and i could possibly sell them.
im very new to this forum, and i am wondering is this safe? especially for alberta?
i have a plan to put the buckets and fish in a part of the forest as my father wont let me do this in my own yard :/
(P.S I am using aquatic plants for oxygen, and will do a waterchange ocassionally, so no electricity or heaters lol)

Last edited:
I don't know how cold it gets in Alberta. Where I live the winters rarely, if ever reach below freezing. Average lows during the winter are 8C. Doubt anyone is growing guppies outside but I do know for a fact that many people are growing Gambusia in their ponds that do fine over winter. Gambusia are also livebearers. I think these might be a better option for growing outside.

yes, but i am looking to using a mix of guppys, mollies and platys
i heard some people will do it, im trying to figure out how to do it.
and the reason for no heaters is my family will toss em out, and also i have no plugs outside

I don't know how cold it gets in Alberta. Where I live the winters rarely, if ever reach below freezing. Average lows during the winter are 8C. Doubt anyone is growing guppies outside but I do know for a fact that many people are growing Gambusia in their ponds that do fine over winter. Gambusia are also livebearers. I think these might be a better option for growing outside.
I had just searched it up, and im afraid i cant find any either, but if i would i would do it!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back