Hi from a newbie!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nicola Main

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Would like to introduce myself! I'm Nicola and I live on the east coast of Scotland! I'm getting a fish tank for my birthday at the end of March and would like all the help I can get from you guys! Will post on the appropriate part of the forum though! Looking forward to exploring the site! :)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Before you get the tank, go to a pet shop and make a list of fish and plants you like, and post it here. We can go through the list and make suggestions as to what size tank they need.

If you can find out the general hardness (GH) and pH of your water supply, that will also help. You can normally get this information from your water supply company's website or by tele[phoning them. If they can't help you then take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and ask them to test the GH & pH for you. Write the results down in numbers when they do the test. And ask them what the test results are in (eg: ppm or dGH). Then post those results here too.

Hi Colin! I have set up a separate thread in the beginners section under 'Starting a Freshwater Tank and need advice' I don't have the tank yet but I have one in mind which is 54 litres and my measurements can't exceed 70cm length, 35cm height and 30cm depth. I know I definitely would like a small group of pygmy Cory's probably Salt and Pepper Cory or a kind similar. My main school of fish I'm thinking possibly a mixed group of half a dozen Black Neon Tetra and half a dozen Neon Tetra? I was thinking of Danios too but was told they would need a bigger size tank. Not thought of plants yet. Next time I'm up at the store I will have a proper look and make notes ;)

Best advice is get a bigger tank,lol
Bigger is better and easier.

In honesty i would only say dont get live bearers, i learned the hard way and over 100 babies later i had to split males and females, that or find a shop happy to take babies and lots of them,lol

Be sure to read everything you can on the nitrogen cycle and be sure to cycle your tank before buying fish. Good luck and ask questions if needed. We’re all here to help.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back