April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

The latest on their website

Attachments

• F6740037-CF80-4DDF-98D3-89DA9BFE93AB.png
    F6740037-CF80-4DDF-98D3-89DA9BFE93AB.png
    238.6 KB · Views: 244
you have some serious crap in your water. I hope you filter it before drinking it.

You have chloramine added according to that data, so remember that. It can be a source of ammonia when testing ammonia. And when using a conditioner, use the amount they suggest for chloramine; this is usually double that needed for chlorine.

You have chloramine added according to that data, so remember that. It can be a source of ammonia when testing ammonia. And when using a conditioner, use the amount they suggest for chloramine; this is usually double that needed for chlorine.
Wow I didn’t know that. Was actually reading that on the prime bottle.

Sounds like you are doing about everything right. I may be a new member on this thread but been in the hobby about 50 years. I might add Safe Start or another reliable commercially available bacteria starter. As I recall Safe Start was formulated by the scientist who discovered the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and the beneficial bacteria cycling. This was back circa 1970s and it took a while to catch on. Also Safe (conditioner) is Prime in concentrated powder form. More economical, because it sounds like you are burning through a lot of Prime. Buy a set of micro spoons to go with it. A ½ teaspoon to a teaspoon for elevated levels of toxins for 20 gallons. That is 4 x normal dosage for extremely high levels of toxins. Borrowing or buying some gravel/sand from established healthy tank and put it in the plastic steamer strainer tray portion of a Healthy Choice meal or in a cleared portion of tank floor. This seed gravel and filters will speed cycling time. Take a new filter pad/bag and rub it (both sides)in the floor medium of a healthy, established tank and transport it home; moist and warm in a plastic bag. Install it next to one of your other filter pads or below the outflow. Even better let the new filter pad/ cartridge sit in a circulated area of the established tank for a few days. If you are a good customer, your fish store should do this at least for sake of your fish. All these could help with safety margins, toxin spikes, fish health and your peace of mind. With all these measures I have cut down new tank cycling to a week. But gosh, you are good parents!

Footnote, Safe and Prime also speed the conversion of ammonia, nitrates and nitrites to safe forms pretty instantly. Also speeding cycling.

Footnote, Safe and Prime also speed the conversion of ammonia, nitrates and nitrites to safe forms pretty instantly. Also speeding cycling.
We are starting stability again since we had success with it with our 10 gallon tank. Hoping it helps!

Hello, Add volcanic rock in small pieces from your local fish store. Our sells it by the pound cheap. Rather like a reef, your BB inhabitant the myriad of holes. A large chunk can make an impressive looking mountain that the BB crowd into like a prime real estate high rise. Put small pieces in or below your filter. If you can't find any around. Look on line. Also Matrix I think by Seachem does the same thing.
Use up to 4x increased dosage of Prime or Safe water conditioner,detoxifier. Every day until your toxin levels are safe.
Buy or order Safe Start (Tetra) bacteria/bacteria starter. Formulated by the scientist who discovered the beneficial bacteria, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite cycle.
Stay with your water changes. Monitor toxin levels with API individual element testers or master kit. Best Wishes- Mont.

Most reactions

Back