Hey! New here!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rob4191

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Rob! I'm 15 and I've been maintaining a betta community tank for 3 years now. It includes a school of Neon Tetras and Albino cories. I'm mainly joining to seek advice for an odd problem, but hopefully I'll be posting about more general topics soon enough.

My tank is only 10 gallons. Although I know and you guys know that's not that big a tank, and that it's overstocked, my mom disagrees. I've been trying to upgrade to at least a 20 gallon for a while now, and o have more then enough saved up for a new tank and stand, but my mom won't budge. She says that a 10 gallon is more then enough for my betta (which she says looks like a "rag") and my Tetras (which she says looks like "flies"), but I've been constantly been dealing with the maintenance for the past 3 years. My fish seem fine, but a 20 gallon would be better.

She thinks I'm becoming too caught up on what's a passing interest (even though I've shown interest in fishkeeping ever since childhood) and that I'm looking for an excuse to spend my money even of I've been saving it.

I hope I haven't come off as petulant, but I'm seeking advice. Does anyone know how to convince her?
3b6bad89462fd9ea2930f2c09ad66c0d.jpg

LOL :)

sorry couldn't help it.

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum :)

If your mum is like my mum, just ignore her and buy tanks. But to be fair my mum didn't give a crap about us kids. I'm sure your mum does :). You could get a double tier stand and have a 20g tank on top and 2 smaller tanks underneath. Or a triple tier stand and have 2 x 20g tanks and a couple of smaller ones. It means you don't take up much more space but do get more tanks.

Ask her if you can get a puppy. She will say hell no and then you say puppy or another tank, fish are easier and quieter but I would really like a puppy ;)

And if your mum asks who gave you this idea, I will deny everything :)

sorry couldn't help it.

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum :)

If your mum is like my mum, just ignore her and buy tanks. But to be fair my mum didn't give a crap about us kids. I'm sure your mum does :). You could get a double tier stand and have a 20g tank on top and 2 smaller tanks underneath. Or a triple tier stand and have 2 x 20g tanks and a couple of smaller ones. It means you don't take up much more space but do get more tanks.

Ask her if you can get a puppy. She will say hell no and then you say puppy or another tank, fish are easier and quieter but I would really like a puppy ;)

And if your mum asks who gave you this idea, I will deny everything :)
Haha I'm sure my mom would let me keep it and wouldn't mind much but she definitely wouldn't be happy with me!

I've actually considered that. I assume I could keep a small shoal of guppies because I've always wanted to breed some, but a betta sorority seems pretty interesting as well. I already have my supplies, so it might be relatively easy.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Can't offer any advice on dealing with your mum but...
If you are going to take Colin's advice jump straight in at 55G. Not that big a price difference and saves on having the same conversation in a couple of years :whistle:

If you are going to take Colin's advice jump straight in at 55G. Not that big a price difference and saves on having the same conversation in a couple of years :whistle:

if your going to do that, you may as well bite the bullet and get a 6x2x2 on a double tier stand :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back