Hey all

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ry4n7

Reaction score
Hey everyone I set up a small 30 litre tank for a few guppies to try breeding them.

I have 3 in at the minute but when I test the water in getting 0.25 ammonia 0 nitrite and 30 nitrate.

Curious as to why I'm getting ammonia when I have quite a lot of nitrate with only 3 fish getting fed a small amount every other day (I'll feed less until the ammonia is sorted obviously) thanks I'm advance

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The nitrates are probably from the tap water.

The ammonia will be from fish food and waste breaking down in the water, and a filter that does not have beneficial bacteria that can convert the ammonia into nitrite into nitrate :)

Hey thanks for the reply. When I first started the tank I wasn't getting any nitrates at all. I'm using media from an old tank I had set up before Xmas
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The nitrates are probably from the tap water.

The ammonia will be from fish food and waste breaking down in the water, and a filter that does not have beneficial bacteria that can convert the ammonia into nitrite into nitrate :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Do you have a nitrite reading? If yes then the nitrate test kit will be picking up the nitrite as well, and giving you a false reading.

The easiest way to lower ammonia, nitrite or nitrate is to do a big water change (50-75%) with water that doesn't have nitrates in.
Make sure any new water going into the tank is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added. :)

Yea there's no nitrite l, just ammonia and nitrate so I'll keep up with the water changes and see how it develops. Thanks.
Do you have a nitrite reading? If yes then the nitrate test kit will be picking up the nitrite as well, and giving you a false reading.

The easiest way to lower ammonia, nitrite or nitrate is to do a big water change (50-75%) with water that doesn't have nitrates in.
Make sure any new water going into the tank is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added. :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back