Hex Tank Cover

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BPB

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been reading this forum for the past couple months now just gathering as much info as I can about the hobby. I was never interested in fish keeping before, but one day my girlfriend came home and surprised me with a female betta and a small 1 gallon tank. After getting her set up in her new home, I was hooked that very day. Two months later I'm now setting up my third tank. I've read much on cycling and pretty much understand the chemistry of it. Unfortunately I didn't do a fishless cycle on my second tank which is a 10 gallon rectangle. Thankfully I've had no deaths in the last 2 months and all fish seem to be happy. All water stats are good as well.

Currently I have one 1/2 gallon tank with a lone male betta, my 10 gallon has my female betta, a few female guppies, and some tetras, and the orignal 1 gallon with 2 male guppies. I had to remove the male guppies from the 10 gal because they were just causing too much trouble. They were constantly bothering the females nonstop, and actually kept trying to pick fights with Blanche (female betta). She has been totally peaceful and only flares up when she catches her reflection in the mirror background. Otherwise she completely ignores the guppies and tetras and actually follows along the sides of the tank as people walk about the house. Very inquisitive.

So I have 3 small tanks, and have just discovered a 10 gallon tall hex tank in my garage left behind from an old roommate. I've got it all cleaned up, put a bio wheel filter on (its good for 20 gal, I figured I'd need more flow for the height of the tank), heater, and have added gravel and some decor as well as water from water changes on my other tanks.

Basically at this point I'm getting it cycled so I can get Big Perm (male betta) out of the little 1/2 gallon thing into the 1 gallon as he seems crammed and unhappy all cooped up, and put the male guppies and possibly some angel fish into the hex tank (just an idea, not entirely sure what I'd like to stock it with).

My problem now is that I have no hood or light for it. I'm a bit of a handyman, but nothing beyond very basic home repair and woodworking. I thought about designing a hood for it, but don't really know where to start. Don't have my tape measure or a camera present (I know that would help), so I cant post pictures or dimensions, but each wall of the tank appears to be about 6" or so wide and very tall, probably 18" (these are just estimates). It's just topless and dark at the moment.

I've searched far and wide online and at the LFSes, and have found nothing that would fit as a hood. I considered hanging a light fixture from the ceiling, but feel like there could be a better way. Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post, just figured I'd give you guys some background. Any help of DIY ideas, or reputable online retailers would be awesome. Thanks everyone!

yeah i bet your betta will appreciate a bigger home, personally i still feel 1 gallon is quite small, you really start to see a betta's true personality if you give them 3/4 gallons+

the 10 gal hex is nowhere big enough for an angel i'm afraid, they want a 30 gal tank minimum and it's got to be at least 16" tall.

OK onto the real question, the hood, plenty of people do make DIY wooden hoods, get marine ply so it can take getting a bit wet. Obviously without seeing pics it's hard to say exactly what you can do but I'd suggest you make a frame which sits around the edge of the tank with a top piece covering half the tank, then a hinged flap in the rest for feeding and maintenance.

just tried to do a quick ms paint rendition of what i mean and failed abismally, will try again later!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back