Here I Go

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RainboWBacoN420

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Not taking any action just yet, my financial priorities at the moment are keeping me from investing in a saltwater aquarium. However, for the time being, I've began my research. I just got done reading The Nano Reef Handbook by Chris Brightwell. Going to read through it again a second time. I'm intrigued! Not only am I doing this for future reference of owning my own reef tank, but my job depends on my knowledge. The LFS I work at specializes in reef tanks, At the moment I'm just the freshwater aquarist, so my days called in are very minimal. To receive more hours, I need to really brush up on the saltwater side of the hobby. I've learned a few things, mostly the basics of keeping coral and setting up saltwater tanks. So here I go, into the descent of the ocean.... aquarium.
Can anyone in the saltwater hobby recommend any books I should look into? Or have any pro tips or just any information regarding corals and tank set ups? Anything at all, any pro tips or advice would be much appreciated. Any warnings I should know about or misinformation that's commonly placed?

Thanks. 

RODI unit = life....that's all I got for you lol. I'm still incredibly far from keeping a saltwater setup, but I do so love the large reef tanks!

I have just started mine and I am loving it.it's a constant learning curve and very interesting.Yeah plenty of research is key.

gmc1 said:
I have just started mine and I am loving it.it's a constant learning curve and very interesting.Yeah plenty of research is key.
Are you keeping corals of any sort? I just got done reading The Nano Reef Handbook for my second time now, I think I have a pretty basic understanding of corals and marine life now. I'm very fascinated by corals now that I can understand them more.. Not entirely sure which way I want to go as of yet. Later down the road it'll either be my 15 gallon or 55 gallon that'll be changed into a saltwater tank. Probably my 15 gallon, I'd like to start out small for now and just have a simple reef tank consisting of mostly zoanthids (love them), a few SPS and mushrooms, and maybe have a nice chocolate chip starfish in there or some red legged hermits. 

No corals yet.i will be getting a pulsing Xenia soon though.corals are best suited to a specific wattage of light.they need a lot.they also need a mature tank.so since it's my first saltwater I am learning a lot.my current stock is 2 clownfish.2 blue legged hermits.2 cerith snails.3 turbos.2 nassurius.i will be adding one more fish,prob a Midas blenny and that's me.its a 20 gallon I have.

Xenia is interesting. But I hear it can grow rapidly out of control very quickly!

Do you have any live rock? Your tank sounds pretty full, especially those three turbos, I think they contribute a big piece to the bioload. A customer wanted 10 of them for his 90 gallon, and one of our top saltwater aquarists recommended no more than 6 turbos.
What morph are the clowns? I assume the true percula (amphiprion percula)?.

Yes I will have the Xenia on its own on a piece of rock.yes I have live rock and a protien skimmer with two wave makers.theres pics of it on marine journals.you can never have too much clean up crew.the turbos are great algae eaters.
Yeah they are percula.great fish.the eat very well.

Just came back from checking that thread out, looks beautiful!

Xenia will grow rapidly out of control I hear, most people avoid it for that reason. Any other corals you may be considering? I would say get some anemones for your clowns, I love watching them snuggle their host anemones at my job, it's adorable. I don't know if you have the right conditions, not saying you don't, I literally am not sure, I think anemones don't look too much light if I remember correctly and need a vigorous flow? I don't know...

I honestly, cannot wait to set up a saltwater reef tank, I want to do it as soon as I can, but unfortunately financial priorities are still in my way. and I'll probably end up changing either my 15 or my 55 gallon into one, once all the livestock are gone, which who knows when that'll be. I guess I'll go with the 15, since I only have one scarlet badis in there. Not sure if a 15 gallon tank will need a protein skimmer? I think I might cry when I undo the tank when the time comes, so much work and  time has been put into that tank. I know nano tanks are more difficult to keep, but I think I'm willing to be put up to the challenge. I'll probably need a legit saltwater stand as well, since at the moment the 15 is just on my dresser. I'll probably get some T-5 or T-8 lighting? Forgot which one is best for coral growth. I'll need a heater and chiller I guess if I'll be going with florescent lighting. Although, the wave maker might avoid over heating, not entirely sure how it'll play out.
But hopefully I'll have plenty of room for live rock, zoanthids, SPS and some mushrooms. I really want to have the mushrooms on the edge of the live rock, to give it a shelf appearance. The display tanks at my job have a similar design. I was also considering one or possibly a few tridacnids, if they'll have enough room. I'm still sure if any fish will be housed in my 15, if I am, I'm definitely not going to buy any from my job. since all the fish are in 75 gallons or more. I hate the thought of taking fish from a big tank and placing them in a smaller tank. I just want at least some activity in the tank, but I'm not sure what fish would be suitable. 

I wonder if a 15 gallon would be too small to house a watchman Goby and a pistol shrimp? 

Your 15 gallon should be ok for them.I sugest getting a skimmer.
Clowns will host anything.my two host my heater a night and a wave maker during the day.I do a 25 % water change weekly.I have a good light but for corals you need alot of wattage.go for it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back