HELP!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RacketyWharf93

Reaction score
So my little guy Paco has been in a 5 gallon by himself lots of space! He's been in there for awhile now but he recently something has been worrying me! The right side of his face has swelled up mostly below his eye and there is these white bumps. He's become pretty lethargic and I don't know how to treat him because I don't know what it is! I have pictures and I apologize for the poor quality of them!
PLEASE HELP ME!
20180425_175503.jpg
20180425_175428.jpg
20180425_175503.jpg
20180425_175428.jpg
20180425_175459.jpg

Can you please answer the following questions.

How big is the tank?
Has it got a heater? What is it set to?
Has it got a filter?
How strong is the current?
Is it cycled?
How often do you change water?
How much water do you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate?
What additives or chemicals do you use? Eg De Chlorinator?
Do you use tap or bottled water? If bottled water please give us the brand.
Do you have a water test kit?
Can you tell us the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
When you clean the tank can you tell us exactly what you do.
What do you feed him? how much? how often?
Any tank mates? What sort how many?
How long have you had the Betta?
Has he got a history of illness?
Any plants or decorations? Please give details?
Can you provide a close up photo of the fish?
Can you provide a photo of the tank?

Sorry I can't tell anything from those pics. Can you try taking some more and check them on your pc before posting. If you have a macro setting on the camera, use that for really close up work, otherwise have the camera about 18inches away from the fish. Also try to photograph thru the front of the aquarium rather than from above the water.

I can't take a picture from the front of the aquarium because he isn't in an aquarium but rather a 5 gallon water jug. He has a heater with an automatic setting his filter and air flow are not high enough that he struggles to swim. I use tap water that is set aside for when I do water changes and clean it up a bit. I use regular dechlorinatin etc. The bumps on his face have gotten worse then they did yesterday. Looks like spikes sticking out from beneath his eye. I can't take a better picture because of my phone.

I'm sorry to be a pain, but could you answer the rest of Nick's questions, please?

The extra information will really help us work out what might be causing your fish's problems :)

Without a clear photo I can only guess. White patches on a fish can be excess mucous caused by poor water quality, fungus from an injury, or lymphocistis (a stress virus).

A broad spectrum medication could be used if the water quality is good. Get something with Methylene Blue in. It will kill bacteria (including filter bacteria) and fungus, assuming that is the problem.

The water quality here is really poor unfortunately. I found him at the bottom of his tank but he was still alive. Unfortunately I'm in the process of moving.. I don't know what to do now with him. He won't eat anymore and it looks like the bumps spread to the top of his head now

do a 75% water change and gravel clean each day. remove any uneaten food after 5minutes.
make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it goes in the tank.

if the water quality is off and the bumps are spreading rapidly, in hours, it is probably excess mucous and water changes should help

Okay thank you! We are moving anyways so he would be in a separate container till then. I also just noticed that his water had a weird smell to it almost like rot but that will be changed soon!

I guess you don't want help with your fish, as you wont answer my questions I am bowing out of this thread, Good luck with your fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back