HELP!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sarahm73

Reaction score
So my 13 year old daughter decided to get herself a betta fish...
It's in a small tank now but obviously it needs more room so I bought a used 10 gallon tank with the basic set up.
I am utterly confused by the cycling process. I think I've read too many different guides and my brain is fried. Currently the tank is filled and has heater and filter running. I put a water conditioner in as directed, tested the PH levels (7) and have added a little fish food daily for the last few days. Before I head back to the store for more supplies I'd like to actually know what I'm talking about. Do I need to buy ammonia too in addition to the food and used gravel? I know I need something to check the ammonia levels too. I also added an ammonia neutralizer during initial set up.
What do I do next? Forgive my ignorance but the fishy wasn't my idea!
I purchased some of those moss ball plants too. The direction say to soak in a gallon of water with a teaspoon of salt. Is that safe for freshwater fish?
Last question...
Is it really ok to put certain fish in with a betta? I tried the mirror tip to see if it would react and flare but it didn't. I'm pretty sure it's a female (not certain but appears to have that identifying dot on belly). Last thing I want is a massacre so if I did add a few other fish, would it react immediately?
Sorry for all the questions. Just want to get the little guy/gal in a more comfortable home.
Thanks!

Welcome to TFF!

If you thoroughly rinse the moss ball afterwards the salt should be no problem. You need a test kit for ammonia and nitrit.

Get some floating plants. They will provide cover for your betta and help with the ammonia.

I wouldn't think about other fish yet. First make sure you have everything up and running smoothly.
Bettas are fish with character and it is hard to predict how they will react to other fish. Male bettas are best kept alone.

If you thoroughly rinse the moss ball afterwards the salt should be no problem. You need a test kit for ammonia and nitrit.

No! If you look at Fishforums .net menu bar, click on How to tips and then click on "to cycle a Tank" The instructions call for using ammonia not fish food. Fish food can be used if pure ammonia is simply not available. using pure ammonia works better.

If you don't cycle the tank properly ammonia from fish waist can build up to toxic levels and kill the fish. Cycling a tank with ammonia insures ammonia consuming bacteria are present in the tank before a fish is placed in the tank.

Floating plants often help consume ammonia if they have enough nutrients to grow. However tap water doesn't always have the needed nutrients. If the plants can't grow they won't consume ammonia.

Do I need to buy ammonia
No as you have a fish you will be doing a fish in cycle. This means daily water tests and changes as needed.

Is it really ok to put certain fish in with a betta?
No especially in a small tank, by small I mean anything under 10 gallon.

Marimo Moss balls ( beware of fakes ) are not really suited to Betta tank as they prefer cooler water. Did you know True Marimo moss balls cared properly will live for over 100 years?

In the “wild”, Marimo only appears in cooler areas like Iceland and northern Japan. It therefore prefers cooler water – if the container/aquarium it’s in gets a bit hot (25+ degrees C/77 F) during summer, consider moving the Marimo to a slightly cooler place for a few months. It can actually be placed in the refrigerator during the hotter months, but a spot near an aircon is also fine.

A Betta tank should be kept at 26 to 28 deg C

So my 13 year old daughter decided to get herself a betta fish...
It's in a small tank now but obviously it needs more room so I bought a used 10 gallon tank with the basic set up.
I am utterly confused by the cycling process. I think I've read too many different guides and my brain is fried. Currently the tank is filled and has heater and filter running. I put a water conditioner in as directed, tested the PH levels (7) and have added a little fish food daily for the last few days. Before I head back to the store for more supplies I'd like to actually know what I'm talking about. Do I need to buy ammonia too in addition to the food and used gravel? I know I need something to check the ammonia levels too. I also added an ammonia neutralizer during initial set up.
What do I do next? Forgive my ignorance but the fishy wasn't my idea!
I purchased some of those moss ball plants too. The direction say to soak in a gallon of water with a teaspoon of salt. Is that safe for freshwater fish?
Last question...
Is it really ok to put certain fish in with a betta? I tried the mirror tip to see if it would react and flare but it didn't. I'm pretty sure it's a female (not certain but appears to have that identifying dot on belly). Last thing I want is a massacre so if I did add a few other fish, would it react immediately?
Sorry for all the questions. Just want to get the little guy/gal in a more comfortable home.
Thanks!
A female betta will oftentimes be more dull and have shorter fins, however some males have shorter fins as well. If your betta is a male, I would not recommend keeping him with other fish. Females are generally less aggressive. If you change the water (25%) often, (I change all of my tanks water once or twice a week) then your ammonia levels will stay down. Plants also help with keeping ammonia levels down, and from what I understand about owning bettas, they enjoy hiding and hanging out in plants. I recommend moss balls, as you already have, floating plants, and I personally keep my betta with wisteria grass.

Thanks so much guys for all the advice!
One more question! Will an ammonia neutralizer really keep it in check?

Thanks so much guys for all the advice!
One more question! Will an ammonia neutralizer really keep it in check?
I have never used an ammonia neutralizer, so I wouldn't know. I am fairly new to the hobby, as I've been keeping fish for around a year now. However, from what I've come to understand, regular water changes will help keep ammonia levels down, as well as adding some plants.

A female betta will oftentimes be more dull
Female Bettas are not dull, I prefer females to males and depending on the size of the tank you can keep more than 1, I have 4 in a 65L tank.

When it comes to plants and Bettas there is 1 rule, There is no such thing as too many plants, and yes plants help keep ammonia down.

Can you please post a photo of your fish, Its kinda of a rule here if you ask for advice you must post a photo LOL.

A female betta will oftentimes be more dull and have shorter fins, however some males have shorter fins as well. If your betta is a male, I would not recommend keeping him with other fish. Females are generally less aggressive.

Personally I think females are far more active than males and they can be just as colorful too. I also prefer females to males, having 9 of them in a 29gal tank myself. That being said, females can be just as mean towards other fish.

If your lighting can support plants, then get them. A betta tank is not complete w/o live plants. The betta will appreciate them, I assure you that. As for the cycling process, I would pick up an API master test kit so you can make sure the ammonia and nitrites don't build up to harmful levels. Doing water changes a few times a week should keep them in check until the bacteria can colonize the filter media.

Hi,
I think you shouldn't buy the ammonia neutralizer.
If I'm not wrong, the neutralizer will only last for about 24-48hrs. After that, it will release the ammonia back to the tank.
Anyway, read the instruction of the neutralizer carefully before buying the it.
Else, it may be a waste of money.

Yes, as others have mentioned that you can keep a few female bettas together especially those from some specific species.
But take note that they are equally aggressive. They can also kill each other.
Once I had a "koi" female betta that killed my red half moon female betta. Both are very beautiful.
The best way to buy a few female bettas is to observe them when they are kept together at the fish store though it's not 100% guaranteed.
Make sure that they can get along together when they are at the fish store.

But if you want a betta with very big tail and fins, then you should look for a male betta. But you can only keep one male betta per tank else they will kill each other.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back