HELP

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ChemCreations

Reaction score
I recently got a 20 gallon fish tank and I've done the set up. The pet store told me to fill it with regular tap water than add the de-chlorinating stuff and let it run for a week. I've also in the beginning washed down the tank and all the decorations/rocks with cold water. I had my water tested yesterday all levels came back perfect but today the water started to fog. I haven't added anything new to the tank and I was hoping to get my fish tomorrow. It's a very light fog. Is it still safe to get my fish????

As for the 'fog'... that's quite normal.

A bit of background, first the levels will come back 'perfect' because there is nothing in the tank producing waste... there's nothing that could be bad. You need to add some ammonia to start the cycle going and let the bacteria take over. The link above will explain it all.

As for,the 'fog'... what you are seeing is a bacterial bloom (different type than the ones that deal with the nitrogen cycle). These are heterotrophic bacteria that are consuming organics in the tank. This will clear up on its own in a couple days. Nothing needs to be done. Once this food is gone, the bacteria will die off. But, changing water,etc won't do anything, as more bacteria would multiply to consume the stuff. Just sit it out, it won't take long. In the meantime, source some ammonia and complete the fishless cycle. While doing that research your fish preferences and find out which fish you prefer, which are suitable, and which can be kept together.

Oh, and take everything the LFS tells you with a grain of salt, and confirm what they are telling you independently. There's lots of good sources out there. Don't believe everything they tell you, and don't buy anything just because they recommend it, ;).

How long does cycling take? It's been cycling for 2 1/2 weeks now.
Unfortunately, if you haven't added ammonia, it has been 'running' not 'cycling'.

Cycling refers to the nitrogen cycle. Long story short, the fish produce ammonia (toxic), and bacteria convert it to nitrite (toxic) and different bacteria convert it to nitrate (far less toxic), which is removed on a regular basis by a weekly water change.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back